Cats Community
home for gorgeus cat

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

home for gorgeus cat

A few weeks ago this really beautiful Calico cat turned up at my house, I keep my doors opena lot so it has been comeing in and has made itsself at home thing is my husband likes birds and dogs, we have not got a dog yet but hope to soon, he doesnt want a cat,in fact he says its the cat or him, it had been bringing lizeads dead and alive all over the house, I am trying to find a home for it, I am willing to donate ,pay for fixings and shots etc,  Anyone near the San Diego/ LA area any ideas how I can do this, the local sheleter do not have a no kill policy and I couldnt take it to anywhere like that. Be grateful for some input guys....Thanks
sorry it looks like I cant spell but its my keyboard again....LOL
margypops:

We found a kitten back in August and put out flyers for the owners to claim her and they never did other than a phone call to tell me when she was born.  So, we put out more flyers at the local vet clinics to find her a home.  Unfortunately, with people losing their homes there are so many animals at the shelters that people are getting their pets from there.  I paid for her spaying and her shots and still no bites.  We still have her and have decided to make her a part of the family now.  

I know that sounds discouraging - so I hope you can find her a good home.  Be very careful about who you give her too.  I know here in my town there are several groups separate from the shelters that will take in cats and dogs and make homes from them - one lady has over 100 animals on her property that she takes care of and we donate to her.  She offered to take this kitten, but I couldn't do that - add more to her stress.  In your case, if hubby does not want her perhaps you can ask your shelter if they know of anyone like this.  Very often the local vets know who these people are - and you could get a number from them.

Good luck!!!  

Hugs,
Janet
HI Margy,

aaww..it's a shame your hubby doesn't want a cat. I have two, and they are the best thing in my life right now. I do not live in San Francisco but I guess you could ask a vet near your area. They usually have listings of no kill shelters.

By bringing you dead lizards, your cat is, believe it or not, complimenting you. She is bringing you presents. It may sound crazy but grateful cats do that to their owners. They don't know about the inconveniences of having a dead animal in the house. They want to praise you with.........dead animals.

Cats can live with birds, fish, dogs and small animals. In fact, I have 34 fighting fish easily accessible for my cats to eat. I still have all 34 bettas and it looks like I'll have more :) My little one loves to get in the fish tank and swim with them. Yeah, imagine that, a cat swimming with fish. Had he wanted to eat them he would have done so long ago.
As long as you keep her belly full she won't bother the birds unless she just wants to act silly and play with it by stalking him/her.

I wish you good luck. My husband once told me he'd leave me if I didn't turn my older cat in. He is still with me, the feline is still here, and he absolutely LOVES the cat now that he understands a bit more about cat behavior.  Maybe that’s what your husband needs, a bit more understanding of cat behavior. Trust me, they can be extremely loving and thankful.

I'm sure your cat will make a wonderful pet to you or anybody. I will keep my fingers crossed so that you can find a loving home for her. Good luck with your search ;)
Thank you guys for all your helpful input, I much appreciated it , heres an u[date ,the kitty((is a girl    horray   for all girls) got fixed yesterday , I am still battling the old man, HE really may, have to go to a shelter,:I have decided as she had a lot of guts ,like me, to try and keep her, I still have a concern about the lizards anjd the birds and the snakes,..... but I think this is one heck of a courageus cat that needs a courageus Broad like me so I am going to go for it , and see what happens.Thanks for your input.
Have you thought about keeping your cat as an indoor cat? Did you see that cat toy site I linked to?  Depending on your political tastes you can have your dogs chew out whoever you feel like.

If you can see if you can get some cute cat toys as a substitute. That is if you will be able to keep her. I hope you do.
Thank you , your information was invaluable I am probably going to keep her and let the dice fall where they may, she is recovering today as was spayed  and has sutures, and had shots etc,It is still a problem but hey I have encountered worse probems than havfng an affectionate ,beautiful kitty come by and want to adopt me,maybe the old man can go to the shelter!1
Didnt mean to leave you guys out, I was scrolling dwon and my thoughts got caught up, I am grateful for your input, so please keep telling me how I can keep my lizard friends and the birds ....dont worry about the old man I have sorted him out!!!!
Whats a betta? loved your story, tell you what I have noticed as she hasnt felt good, due to the fixing ,she has been stalking the man of the house, why I ask myself ,,,I sure smell prettier than him, what do you think, and come on give me a name I am calling her Tweety... smeety ,smootchy.. oh goodness I told you I was a dog person...
hahahaha girl you sure are funny. Well bettas are fighting fish. They're fresh water creatures and are the only fresh water fish with in-your-face colors. We have two Halfmoon and 32 halfsuns. They're just beautiful, social, and sweet. They're little pigs, wanting to eat everything!!! My younger cat, Dillan, who is about to turn 5 months, likes to get in the tank and have a little skinny dipping with the fish LOL.

Give her time. Spaying can be dramatic. Males recover quickly from neutering but spaying is more complicated. Some cats urinate all over themselves and stop eating. Some don't even do well with anesthesia. So, if she is eating, drinking and stalking you I'd say it's a good sign!!! I'm glad you are keeping her. Try to keep her comfy and don't let her go out. Would you keep her indoors? Indoor kitties last longer healthier.

Hmm....names...........well you could go with Abby, Lila, Maya, Heidi, Ginger, Rosy,  Frances, Sadie, Ally, Jewel etc….LOL
Well she is doing okay, she has been out of it a lot but today has been lokking to go outside, indoor cat will not work, we leave the doors open a lot and trust me the old guy wont change....so she has to take her chances, having said that if anyone offers a good home to her I will let her go to get my dog..however it has to be a good home. I think once she can go out, I will monitor the times she goes out and when I am here keep her in, but let her out under supervision, I think it was a good thing to take her on at least shes not considerd a stray now,and has had all the shots,, it is a really smart cat, I didnt realsie not having had one how smart they are she will play ball with me and bat it to and fro,, thanks guys hey I will have other questions like what is a litter tray??? I found that out the hard way..
Ginger it is...thank you
heheheh Well Well Well....Welcome to the community, Ginger ;)
Keep an eye on Ginger. Before you know it, she will be joining all of our cats in an plot to take over the world.

Lonewolf, how is Laverne and Teabag doing?
Any suspicious looking packages? Any more exloading litter boxes?
Litter box!  LOL!!!!  

We have had cats and snakes and lizards for years!  We also had an African Gray. Never had a real problem.  We always just told them NO! when they would get close while we were holding the snakes, etc.  My mother's cat, loved her bearded dragon.  When the bearded dragon (Dino) was out of his tank sitting on my mother's bed watching television with her, Rusty her cat, would come along and rub his face into Dino's face.  And, one time Dino was sitting on top of Rusty's head while watching television.  Sometimes, cats, lizards and snakes get along.  Recently, we did have to find new homes for our snakes though because we didn't have time for them anymore.  

Good luck!  If you teach her right - she should do well around the reptiles and birds.
Oh dont tell me you hold snakes??  I have duck bumps just thinking about that!!!!!!
Cool to see someone not afraid of holding snakes. Not all snakes are bad. Some are quite calm. One time I came home with a tree snake and tried to get it into the house. My mom had a fit. She told me to drop it. Like an obedient person, i dropped it, right there in front of her.

That didn't go over so well. I caught the snake and returned it to the field. Ut was the best thing I could do, but it was a very tame snake.

Another time was a church event and they had an area that you could hold different "small" animals. One of the animals was a huge python. That took several people to hold it. That snake was very tame too.
poof
Sorry guys NO I donthave any reptiles or brds or Lizards they are the wild ones that come into my yard the only reptile in the house is the old man and I am the only Bird    he he he
The kitty brings them in it pounces around outside and drags the poor little lizards around... tries to get the birds hasnt done so yet, well shes doing well the vet says I have to watch the sutures so she doesnt get out much, and I will still look for a good home but keep her if I dont get her a home. I have actually held a snake, this will make you laugh, many moons ago I went to a night club with a bunch of Pals , and the night club act was a girl with a snake ,it was only dancing (just in case you are freaking out) a Python, and when she finished her act she allowed folks to touch the Python, they are warm not cold ,the funny thing is they move on you, so I have this snake around my neck with it slithering around, quite pleasant,,I love everything that moves except.... Fire Ants,wasps, cockroaches.they all freak me out I can even look at mice and rats.....
I used to have a calico kitty. Her name was Abby. She was a stinker, actually, lol. I have another stinker, come to think of it!
I hope the kitty works out and that your husband will warm to her. :)
April, it had to be Abby LOL
I think someone just spontaneously combusted when we started talking about snakes, lol.

margypops, Is it possible to keep your kitty indoors and not let her outside?  That way at least she won't be catching the wild birds and lizards outside.

Now if she catches wild  birds in the house, that I can't help you with.

BTW We have lizzards here in MN, but they are hard to find. The one I saw last summer kept itself hidden by our steps. I'm sure it's hibernating now.
MJ:  Yes, we had snakes!  My hubby had two ball pythons and I had two cornsnakes and one black rat snake/northern pine mix.  My two cornsnakes were Pebbles and Rocky and the black rat was Blade.  We finally had to give them away since we no longer had the time to give them.  They deserve to be held regularly and we just couldn't do it anymore.  I miss my Pebbles the most.  I got her as a baby and she would not eat unless I held her in my hand and dangled her food (frozen dead pinkies) in front of her.  But, then when she started getting bigger I had to start putting her into a separate container to feed her - I was afraid she would accidentally bite me.  Blade bit me once by accident - he thought I had more food for him and went at my thumb.  He bit and let go immediately once he realized it wasn't food.  It stung a bit but wasn't too bad.  I miss them so much!  

I used to be terrified of snakes but my brother lives with us and started a business selling and buying snakes.  Well, he brought Pebbles home (she was about 3 weeks old) and so tiny!  I fell in love with her and she became mine.  Hubby was shocked because he always wanted snakes but I would never allow them in the house! LOL!!!  So, that was the beginning of my love affair with snakes and I no longer fear them.  We recently went to a reptile expo and the man who took our snakes for us rescues reptiles and he uses my snakes in his school program.  So, he brought Pebbles with him so I could hold her.  I must of spent about an hour holding her and did not want to give her back!  LOL!!!  He said she does really well with the kids.  She's beautiful!  I never thought I'd say that about a snake!  

But, we have 5 cats in our home and that's plenty.  Dino died about a year ago and so we no longer have any reptiles.  I posted a picture of my Daisy on my photos page - one when she was a kitten and a picture of her sibling - and she looks just like him right now.  She's beautiful!  I'm also posting a picture of the kitten we found in August and then sometime over the next few days I'll post the others too.  

Hugs,
Janet
Pinkies are baby mice, right?

I had to google up "corn snake". Those are very beautiful. They look like leopards or cheetahs, but scales instead of fur.  Ball pythons are very pretty too, but a lot bigger.

I can imagine it would be tough having to give up any pet, especially something that beautiful. It sounds like you did the right thing and they are in good hands. You get to visit Pebbles and your other snakes, right?

At one time I wanted to have a pet lizzard, maybe an iguana, but when I read about how huge they can get and how mean they are, I decided I don't have the time or space. Iguanas need to be held regularly from young to adult, so they can be comfortable with handling. If not they can grow really mean.

I took care of a gecko once. That was over spring break at our high school.  Basically it just slept most of the time and would eat crickets every once and a while. The crickets were more interesting to watch. There were some male cricket "perverts".  They would chirp and chirp right in front of a female nymph, hoping she would be interested..... They'd even dance a little in front of her.
Hey MJ:  Earlier I said my brother "lives" with us and it was a type I meant it "lived" with us.  LOL!!!!

Yes, pinkies are baby mice.  Cornsnakes are very pretty.  Pebbles was very unique in her look.  I have some pictures of them somewhere and when I find them I'll post them.  Cornsnakes are pretty mellow snakes too.  The Ball Pythons are normally mellow but when Tom wasn't able to hold them as often they turned bitie.  That was discouraging.  It saddened Tom a lot.  But, the guy who has them is rehabilitating the one and the other one has stopped biting.  The rat snake/northern pine mix has started biting, which really surprised me.  I wonder if it was the change in owners.  He's been with me for 4 years.  He had an amazing personality and so I fear that he misses me.  But, I'm sure he'll get better.  Pebbles and Rocky are used in the school program regularly and I think that's awesome.  There are so many misconceptions about snakes.
That's why I found it interesting to see another person not afraid of handling things that other people are afraid of. Did you see my picture with the male bee?

I wonder if the same is true with insects to a degree. One time in fall my sister came home with a huge female katidid. I picked it up and it it chirped its wings (surprised me, but I read later some species both genders can chirp) and it bit me pretty hard. I dropped it in surprise.  I picked it up later and it never did that again. It eventually stopped biting. I could hold it and it was very calm. If I didn't handle it for a while, then it started to get a little defensive.  Unfortunately it was the end of the season and the katidid eventually died.

The same kind of tameness happens to caterpillars. One of my hobbies is to raise butterflies. If you catch a caterpillar in the wild, it will often curl up into a ball, and it may also spit out green stuff. (Gross). On rare occasions I have been bit by a caterpillar. (doesn't really hurt, but just seems strange and they tend to spit) But if I kept the caterpillar in captivity and fed it each day and handled it a little and let it walk on my hand, then it would eventually stop curling up. The spitting would be non existant.

If I kept them in captivity and didn't handle them or touch them, then they would curl up and get defensive almost like they would in the wild.

I can't keep adult butterflies, so I let them go after their wings have hardened and hopefully before they start flying around in the container. Their wild instincts pretty much take over from there.  I suspect snakes and other reptiles naturally aren't used to being handled.

Same thing with feral cats or any animal. I can rest my head on Waldo and cuddle with him, but that's because I do that just about every day. When we first got him, he was very comfortable being pet, but not being held and if I put my head on him, he'd twitch his tail and get away.  He wouldn't take me resting my arm around him. Now he takes it really well and is very comfortable with that if I get him at the right time.

It takes that gradual process to get a cuddly animal. By handling it each day, it builds up a sense of trust each time. Depending on the degree of wild instincts, this process may take longer or be easily reversed if not not done on a consistant basis.
I did not see the bee picture - I'll take a look.  I couldn't do that - allergic to bee stings!  UGH!!!  I used to be frightened of all spiders, but lately there's a female spider that comes to our bedroom every year at the same time to lay eggs.  I've gotten used to her (but I do kill the nest - I can't stand having a bunch of babies around).  She walks around the ceiling of my apartment.  My cats cackle at her - but leave her alone.  I used to freak with this type of thing, but now I just let her go her way.  I feel bad killing the babies, but the first year she came and laid the eggs, we didn't know and ended up with millions of babies all over our bedroom.  It was horrible!  I just can't do that again!  ICK!!!!
What a day I have had... the cat has to go to a good home where do you live you cat lovers .. I am near LA ...can travel ...to get it a good home..today feeling kind I let her out and watched her so she didnt climb or do anything untoward to make those sutures fall out, although maybe she has forgotten all that now she is "fixed" well she dragged lizards in to the house, ate one ,drove me nuts ,chasing another  around the kitchen to get it outside, alive,.. good job the Master of the house wasnt here he would have smacked her on the head,the cat I mean, see what I am up against so come on what can I do she cant stay here, even if I hated lizards, I and he wont be able to deal with it anyone want to swop a nice 2 year old doggie for a young , clever, pretty, smart cat that likes" lizards...
In our home we have a kitty thats about 10 months old, a 2 year old labrador retriever, a parakeet and 3 fish tanks, one with african dwarf frogs, one with fancy guppies and baby mollies, and a 46 gallon tank with 20 fish in it... my kitty LOVES to try to get in the 10 gallon tank to drink the water!!! He also LOVES to stalk the bird... he jumps up to the chest of drawers that I have the bird cage on (used to have it in the livingroom, but it would have soon died there cuz of kitty) the kitty just lays and stares at the bird right next the the cage and his tail switches back and forth...  the poor bird... Im surprised she has not had a cardiac arrest by now!! One time I forgot to shut my bedroom door and came home from church to the bird cage on the floor sideways and all the food scattered everywhere and tiny feathers gently floating all about and the kitty just laying there watching for some chance to "play" with the bird!!! My 8 year old daughter wants a hampster now!!! It'll have to have a VERY secure habitat with our very courious kitty lurking around!!!  Just wanted to say kittys can share a home with other pets, but its a work in progress... he loves to destroy all my plants too... he lays IN my spider plants... he also likes to hang out in my atrium window "playing" with my plants and munching them here and there!!! He has ruined more that one of my plants... hopefully as he gets older he'll slow down on how often he messes with the critters and the plants... he is very cute and loveable.. which is a good thing or else I may not be too fond of him!!!  :)
It has always been an outside cat MJ and I have kept her in a lot more due to the sutures ,but she wants to go out slips out past your legs anyway and I doubt if he who should be obeyed would be able to take it,,still shes still here , we shall see I wont send her to a shelter so I have to find a home and check it out so she'll stay till I do,I saw that terrific pic of the bee MJ but what the heck is a katidid, ??
My grandma has that problem with Sahib, and that's how he gets out. I open the door and push myself out quickly and close the door quickly. If one of the cats is there I will nudge them away firmly with my foot to keep them inside. I have at times had to grab them really fast and put them back in.  Since Sahib isn't my cat I have little control over if he goes outside or not...Grandma will let him back out...

One time I had quite a scare when Sahib seemed to be lost and ti was a cold rainy night.  I searched and searched and couldn't find him. I made a post here about it.  Then I searched some more and heard meowing from across the street. I meowed back and he kept answering me. Eventually I found Sahib and returned him, only to find Waldo missing!  Somehow he got out too... I was happy when I found Waldo and had both cats inside.

A Katidid (katydid) is a long-horned grasshopper.  Technically speaking I belive they are more cricket like, but they look sort of like grasshoppers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katydid
I love grass hoppers I remember the beautiful colors of the ones in Florida,I think they are grass hoppers? anyway I got some pics of them they wre so unusual, so Now I know what a katydid is ....The Kitty is getting its feet under the table even more, I put an an Ad in craigslist for a home for her. I will go and check the home so no worrys there.that I would chuck her out to Kitty abusers!!
Looks like she may have a home and I am feeling so upset...Someone is coming with their granddaughter to see her tomorrow they have a cat and want a companion for him, I will then check out where she will go to, she will be an indoor cat not in and out as I have done..I have to keep her thru Friday as there are sutures to come out , oh well sorry guys I have to move to the dog Forum as my lord and master has said we rte going out to pick up a dog who needs a home.... will keep you helpful guys posted...
Marygypops:
It's so hard to give them up once we get close to them!  I hope things work out for you!  

By the way, I call the kitten I found in August "KatieDid"  LOL!!!!
I love you called your kitten katydid, helpin...Well she is still here sutures come out tomorrow morn I had the folks over to see the Kitty they loved her and she palyed with the toys I have bought and put up a good show.... I went back to their house to see what it was like,well turns out the people work all the time are never there they want my kitty to be companion to another sweet boy cat, I saw him he seemed depressed ,didnt move, do anything, the little girl dumped him up and down, the house had all the blinds down it was like a tomb in there and definatly this is why they need a companion for their cat,and they did say they are out many hours and go away at weekends, ,, so you clever guys know whats coming dont you.... and trust me the old man is freaking out, I didnt let her go!  I will look for a home but not to be shut in a tomb when she has been out and noone around to boot... so I told him NO she stays till I find a home like I am giving her. well that went down well didnt it so last weekend was kind of quiet apart from me and the no name cat!!!!!!
Forgot to tell you something, I came home the other day and found parts of birds every where the pato was covered, a Falcon has been hanging out near my house I have seen him a few times, well it must have grabbed a couple of birds and devoured them nothing left but a big trail of feathers....... No it wasnt the cat I keep her in a lot only let out at night,/eraly morn and watch her to stop her   lizard baiting
Did you call the shelter to see if anyone is missing a cat? Normally one so friendly would not have been on her own for long. Put up pictures of her in the neighborhood, look in the paper for lost pets if you haven't already. It is good of you to stick up for the cat against you husband, cats need us human companions to keep them safe, fed and happy. There are too many that don't and I don't know how many cats/kittens I have rescued. Otherwise sounds as if she has found a good home!

Yup she is driving us nuts,,but I will make sure she goes to a good home,I had her fixed her sutures wre taken out friday, had her shots,and they used some stuff on her neck for fleas ticks and worms,every month, the lord and Master is trying to do his taxes and she keeps jumping up on his desk and sending the paperwork flying...he is not a happy camper.I recued 2 moths and 2 lizards yesterday one lost half a tail in the fray, in fact I spent most of the morning following her, all she does is try to find critters to darg in,,I contacted the shelter and no one had any knowledge of her, asked evrywhere,was even going to take her to the shelter till I heard they didnt have a no-kill policy and wont let you know if they cant place her,,,,
Years ago we had a calico cat who beat up our pit.  Part of me says let your husband go and keep the cat  = )  Another part of me says mail her to me but I'm in Toronto, miles away.  Calicos are beautiful cats.  Have you tried putting an ad in your veterinarian's office?  Our vet adopted one of the two cats that just walked into our house like they owned the place.  Personally, I hope you keep her.

BTW, regarding cats bringing things like lizards in the house, one of our cats brought me a dead mouse and left it on my bed.  I think he'd been watching "The Godfather"  = )

Funny you should say that, Lonewolf.. about the vets office as we have thought we would do that this weekend,This is the smartest cat it plays ball with you, do all cats do that, she bats it too and fro, brought in the biggest lizard yesterday, I caught it in a cloth and put it back out uninjured it really is too much for me though ,I love to be out and it stalks everything I guess thats what cats do...she has made me a neurotic mess this week , but she is sooo cute.