Cerebral Palsy Community
CP and the impact of fitness

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

CP and the impact of fitness

Hey everyone. Ok, so I have CP and this is the first time i've ever posted about it. Overall I am blessed in the sense that my CP fairly mild and rarely affects day to day life. I am grateful because i know some of us have it much tougher. Im 23and quite active. I run  and keep fit. However, i feel that since i have been running etc my limp is becoming more apparant. Is this possible???

Maybe im being paranoid, but the mere fact that i feel my limp is worsening makes me think that perhaps the leg/ankle doesnt appreciate the extra pressure im placing on it. I dont feel physically drained or anything. Am I over analysing or can overdoing it at the gym damage motor functions/brains capacity to deal with effects of CP? Thanks a lot.
Hello wrigs10,

You are certainly not being paranoid; the jogging is in fact causing the limp in your leg to worsen. However it is not the weight that is causing this, it is the erratic pushing movement when running that is causing the muscle tone to increase and rise up which is affecting your leg, causing the limp to become more apparent.  I suggest that for now you should slow down on the jogging so that the limp will decrease and then later on gradually increase the speed when your jogging, but slowly.

All the best!
Health in Motion Rehabilitation
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
I am glad to hear that you are faring well! The limp can be due to several causes like a muscle injury, a nerve pressure, affection of the hip joint or due to affection of the lower leg joints, deep vein thrombosis etc.
I suggest you decrease the level of exercise and consult your doctor to find out whether it is related to cerebral palsy or to something else. You will need to get investigated to rule out all these causes.
Take care!
Thanks for the responses. Im going to go see a neurologist. Its reassuring to know that my mind isn't playing tricks on me. Bit annoying though. The reason iv started running is to try and help my leg get stronger, but obviously its had a negative effect. I have taken both of your advice on board and cut down.

Just out of interest, what effect if any would a strained neck/shoulder have on my motor functions. Iv really hurt the top of my neck which has spread across my should...muscle damage i think from the gym. What are the chances of that affecting CP? Sorry for being ignorant, am just really worried my condition could be getting worse.