Cerebral Palsy Community
Cerebral Palsy

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

Cerebral Palsy

I’m Zachary Smouse, I’m 19 years old living with Cerebral Palsy. I feel like I’m stuck in a body limiting my abilities to succeed with my dreams. I want to get out on my own, but some things I can’t do. The simplest things that normal people do in everyday life, I can’t do by myself; like I can’t cook, wash clothes, and fill my cup up with drinks. I need older people that have Cerebral Palsy to talk to that have succeeded in life; I want to succeed my dreams.
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your condition. Depending on the level of affliction, many day to day activities may get restricted. The best way to cope is to make the house and furniture adaptable to your activity level. This will help you feel less challenged. Some amount of physiotherapy can help in achieving better coordination. It is important to not pay too much attention to what you cannot do, and focus on things which you can do. You should utilize your day by doing activities that you can do, share with others or do for others. Joining a support group and meeting other people challenged by a similar situation also acts a great motivation. You must focus on realistic dreams which can be achieved in your situation and work towards achieving them with help of your doctor, therapist, family and friends. The first step is right communication of your needs and requirements. Discuss with your doctor and therapist to find ways to achieve them. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.