Cerebral Palsy Community
Hunger

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

Hunger

My son has cerebal Palsy and just wondering he eats non stop is always hungry yet woulod blow away in the breeze is this common
lol, sounds like a boy to me :p im a 17 year old girl with mild cp and have very normal eating habits  
My daughter is 5 and has almost obsessive eating habits.  before diagnosis with CP I had visited a paeditrician to discuss her appetitie.  She is constantly hungry, and is very greedy (but is genuinly afflicted with an overinterest in food).

I have 3 children, all have good appetites.  They are all standard (non overweight) size but P is particularly lithe.  

When my dad had altzheimers, he suddenly developed a large appetite and interest for food, like his full button didnt work.  P is very similar and I am convinced it is a neurological issue - she is never sick though from eating too much and I try to limit her intake but also do not want to give her an eating disorder so I just ensure she is fed healthily at set times but allow her to eat more than I feel is necessary.  

She has to have 2 lunchboxes for school as they keep calling me to say she needs more food as she is salivating, gazing and asking other kids for food

:)  What can I say!

LOL! My daughter is the same way. She is 10 and a half years old and when we go to Mc Donalds she asks for a number 1. A big mac meal. That wouldn't be strange excpet she weighs 42 pounds and is 44 inches tall. Wears a size 7 slim in pants. Tiny tiny. They say children with CP have to work harder to move thus burning more calories and keeping her appetite up. She can't afford to lose weight so she has an open pantry. I try to keep very bad food out of the house. When I make taco bell style tacos at home she eats 6 while I eat 3. I have no idea where she stores it, but that little thing can eat as much as a grown man. She loves her food!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi. A small number of children with cerebral palsy develop gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD, commonly called heartburn) in which a weak diaphragm could not keep stomach acids from spilling into the esophagus and vomits food before their stomach digests it. In effect, children develop severe hunger and eat large amounts of food to satisfy them. However, because their gastric capacity is small and GERD is present, they vomit everything they eat and drink, and the cycle repeats itself. Children with cerebral palsy are not getting enough nutrients from food, and remain thin, short, pale, weak and hungry. You might want to consider bringing your child to a pediatric gastroenterologist and nutritionist to determine the cause of her feeding difficulties and prevent malnutrition. Hope this helps.  
My 8 year old daughter with CP has a huge appetite, yet is quite thin. It has been explained to me by my daugher's neurologist and therapist that children with CP burn calories at a much higher rate than children without CP. This is due both to the spasticity as well as to the fact that all movement requires more energy. For the same reason, she needs more sleep than other children as she tires easily.  I am always sure to feed her lots of healthy, organic, fresh whole foods. In order to make sure she gets enough calories each day I give her sliced pears with lots of almond butter as an afternoon snack often with other foods. She eats 4-5 full meals per day and has almost no body fat.