MRI and still need answers
My 15 month old daughter has hypotonia and developmental delay and has been receiving physiotherapy and hydrotherapy to help as couldn't sit until 12 months and just started crawling this week. She also has shown preference to her right hand from an early age  She has recently had an MRI scan to investigate further. We were told by the paediatrician that the scan was abnormal but it didn't tell them much.  We were shown the images of her brain and told that she has too much space between her skull and brain and the brain looks too small. I asked if the paediatrician had seen this before and she said yes. I then asked what effect this would have on my daughters life, she said it would all be down to her as every case is different. They are continuing with the physio etc and she is to be reviewed every 3 months. Please can you tell me why she would have too much space here and what her condition could be called,  I really need to find out more, thank you in advance
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
The head circumference grows at a rate of 2cm per month in first three months and at one cm per month for next three. A small variation from this is normal. If there is a drop, this is more meaningful than being in lower percentile of head circumference. Hence look back at the records and see. Watch out for developmental milestones (ask the pediatrician about it) and get the head circumference measured every month. There is nothing much which can be done to prevent microcephaly or small for age head. Treatment is usually symptomatic and with physiotherapy, and may affect the child for life depending on severity. Consult a pediatric neurologist. Take care!
Hi, thank you for your reply, however her skull size is not small and has been growing at the correct rate it is her brain that appears small and the meninges appear much larger. This is not typical of the condition you mention microcephaly?
What ever happened with your child. My son just received the same diagnosis. I have no idea what this means.