Cerebral Palsy Community
Mild Incontinence / Cerebral Palsy Adult

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

I have mild CP and at age 30 I started having more problems due to aging.  I recently went from walking unaided to needing a device to stretch my leg muscles at night so I can prevent falls during the day.  About 6 months ago I started having a few wetting accidents in the evenings and thru the night.
I am 35 now and live independently and my doctor feels that I need to wear adult diapers probably for the remainder of my life during the night.  He said that my muscle weakness from the CP is now affecting my continence.  Is anybody else experiencing this?  Any way to improve this so I am not in need of the diapers?
Thanks for any thoughts, Stacey
Hi Stacey!
Well, actually cerebral palsy is a non-progressive disorder, that is, the lesions that cause cerebral palsy do not progress with time. If there is a worsening of symptoms, it is due to other associated lesions. So, ask your doctor if you need a MRI.
The reasons could be stress, functionally small bladder, diabetes mellitus, diabetes insipidus, urinary bladder wall instability, UTI, stones and neurological problems.
Limit fluids in the evening. Set up an alarm your self and try and wake up 3-4 hours after sleep and use the washroom. Ask your doctors to look into these causes. Diabetes can also affect nerves and cause muscle related problems. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.