Cerebral Palsy Community
NORMAL PARENTING VS PARENT CP CHILD
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

NORMAL PARENTING VS PARENT CP CHILD

My daughter has Cerebal Palsy and recently I joined a support group.  A question was brought up in a discussion that I found interesting, but difficult to answer.  A member of our support group had asked
"What are Caregiving services provided by a caregiver v. services provided “normally” by parent."  Being Makayla is my only child i have never had the luxury of "normal parenting."  We are meeting again tonight and I would like to give some feedback to the parent (whom child also has CP).  
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
477608_tn?1238531558
"Normal" Parenting:

Bathing, feeding, dressing until school age
Diapering until age 2-3

Doctor visits: (well child visits)
Birth-12 months: 7-10 visits
12-24 months: 4-6
2-3 years: 2-3
3-5 years: 2-3
5-18 years: 1-2
The 'average' child will see the doctor an additional 2-3 times per year for 'sick visits'

"Ballet/gymnastics/karate/soccer/baseball" can all be considered simillar activites to physical/occupational/speech therapies...the biggest difference is therapy is covered by medical plans, social activities are not.

Parenting a CP child additionally involves:
Bathing, feeding, dressing WELL beyond 'standard' development, often well into adulthood.
Diapering WELL beyond 'standard' development, often into adulthood
Medication administration beyond the 'daily vitamin'. Often in an inconventional manner (G-Tube)
Special preparation of foods (formula mixed with pureed table foods/baby foods)
Doctor visits often are more than double the 'normal'
Hospitalizations/surgeries more than double (often triple) the 'normal' (even counting an appendectomy and tonsilectomy as 'standard')
Frequent visits to the school for conferences (above the typical 1-2 parent-teacher conferences)
Special travel arrangements
Special home/vehicle modifications
"Planned" grocery shopping (while there is someone else to care for the child with CP, additional time required to accomodate difficulty walking, etc.)

These are just the few I have come up with off the top of my head. My son was a spastic quad who lived with me (at home) until age 17 years/10 months, when he moved in with Jesus.
Blank
588986_tn?1218805953
Wow! That was a great way to compare the two.
Thank You soooo much!!
Blank
477608_tn?1238531558
You are quite welcome! I have just been through the gamut on a legal case and this was the topic, so I have had some time/experience with the comparison!

If you ever need anything else.....that's what I am here for :)

Always~
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Cerebral Palsy Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank