Tendon Lengthening in the Groin for Adults
I am a 34 yr old female with CP throughout my life I have had numerous surgeries starting at the age of two. Most were for tendon lengthening in the ankles and knees and then two other major surgeries for my hips where each time they rotated my hip outward and placing a plate to hold in place. One plate was removed at a later date, the other is still there.
I have been recently diagnosed with Arthritis in my hip as well as my inner thigh, which apparently is not uncommon for someone like myself. Up to this point other than the visual aspect you would of never know I had CP as I lived a very normal active lifestyle, doing pretty much anything I put my mind too.
However in recent months I have had excruciating pain what seems to be in the groin area and the back of leg almost directly underneath my butt. I believe that this pain is caused not just by my arthritis but more so to do with the tendons in my groin area being too tight. That is the one area my specialist have never worked on. My question/questions are as follows:
#1 I want to know if it is possible to have this type of surgery done?
#2 is there something else you could recommend?
Physio and medication so far have not helped
Hi, It is good to know that you have only mild cerebral palsy and you did well upto now with all your daily activities. Actually we dont expect cerebral palsy to progress further and deteriorates the patient further but sometimes complications like arthritis arises. The excruciating pain may be due to arthritis, spasticity, tendonitis or all. You may help with some antispasmodics like diazepam, dantrolene for spasticity. There are further surgeries on tendons or cutting nerves or surgeries on joints to improve the symptoms. I hope this helps you. Good luck.
Thank you for your response! I appreciate any knowledge or suggestions you may have....is there a way of finding out if it is my tendons by an ultrasound or MRI? or Will my orthopedic specialist know that by simple movement and gate?
Also is Osteo-arthritis deteriorating?? Thanks again!
Hi, yes it is possible to differentiate between these conditions by your medical history, physical examination and imaging studies. The orthopedic surgeon can determine whether the arthritis is stable or deteriorating by comparing the results of two different examinations. I hope this helps. Bye