Cerebral Palsy Community
erections make diapering impssible

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

erections make diapering impssible

I am the mother of a very irritable 14-year-old child with Cerebral Palsy. He also is mentally retarded and has the mental capacity of an 18-month-old baby. He is incontinent must wear diapers. It is becoming increasingly impossible to fit a diaper over him due to the startling size and intensity of his erect penis that extends well past his belly button. A friend of mine who is a nurse suggested the possibility of giving him medicine to shut down the effects of puberty on his body, completely eliminating any further sexual development as well as the natural urges for sex that come with semen production. She seems to thinks my pediatrician will prescribe a strong testosterone suppressant that would keep him flaccid and much more comfortable and happy. Is this really a treatment I should pursue for my son?
Hi,  My son is nearly 3 and this was one of the things that worried me tremendously.  I discussed it with the paediatrician and although it is a moral decision on your part to make, you have to act in the best interest of your child.  It is not something one decides lightly I suppose, but if it is a problem, one must deal with it the same way you deal with all the other problems that pop up with our kids.  I looked on the net but couldn't find anything useful.  Good luck  
I'm 32yrs old and have mild CP (Right Spastic Hemiplegia and Paralysis). I have low testosterone, have had hormone therapy in various stages of life, have had cryptorchidism (undescended testicle) surgery, and have had micropenis fixed with testosterone. Here's my thoughts.

Option 1: suppressants, First off, it won't make him happier to use suppressants. Trust me, I know what it is like to have low testosterone and it is pure hell. It makes life worse. Beleive it or not, sometimes erections, at least for me when it does happen, keeps me going at times. I know it sounds terrible and downright sickening, but it's the honest to goodness truth. All though it will make it easier for you to deal with him, How would you feel if someone shut off that part of you down there? How do you feel before and after masterbaition? Big change, huh? Secondly, I don't like the idea of suppressants but if my CP was severe instead of mild, I'm not sure whether or not I would want this done or not. Honest answer, I just don't know. On his side, I wouldn't want it done and would probably hate it, on your side, it would be the easiest method allowable and may be your best bet. If you do decide to use suppressants then cost might be an issue, he'll more than likely end up taking them for life, especially if he really is diaper bound.

Option 2: ask the doctor if there is any way to help teach him to releive himself and if there is, have a medical tech teach him. Physical therapy to stretch those muscles.

Option 3: if he cannot learn, which it sounds like it by your question, then what about a tech who could do it for him. Maybe a close, non-relative, female friend of the family or even a hooker. It's legal in Pahrump supposedly.

Option 4: Cathetors and a vibrator. Another option is to get him fitted with a catheter for peeing or pooping and then purchase a vibrator and put it on him and let it go until he is finished. Might make him sleep better, that's for sure. You may have to do this a couple times each day, but he'll definitely be happier. Not sure if this would work but ask the doctor about it.
hi jenn

my brother is 2yrs old and has a severe case of CP aside from this, he has a trach and a feeding tube, when he was born i was in charge of all the decision making concerning his health. i have decided to keep him as small as possible, with the help of our doctors, we have managed to keep him small without affecting his health he is 16lbs and 25 inches long. when i realized that i was going to be in charge of taking care of him, the first thing that came to my mind is the problem that you are having now. i know that you will understand that because you are in that situation now. i read a story on the news about a little girl whose parents decided to preform a surgery that stopped the process of puberty. i am currently looking into it and it turns out that the parents decided on this sugery because they didnt want her to mature that way they would not have any problems. they had all of her reproductive organs removed and of course, she has to be on some type of medicine. unfortunately i have not found who was the doctor that took care of this case but i am willing to find out. i am thinking and hoping that there is a procedure that can be done on males as well. i think that eventough this is a natural process in life, they should not be going trough this because they are not mentally capable of processing sexual information in their brains, they do not have the capacity of understanding what is going on, its like having a toddler, no one in their right mind would have a toddler perform a sexual act. i can just imagine what you are going trough because i will be there one day. i have decided that if this procedure is prossible, i will get it for my brother.
One of the doctors that did that surgery commited suicide as a result a year later. This is a bad decision all around. I have spastic CP and I'm a quad. I can understand those kinds of "issues" however a lot of people (parents, doctors, guardians etc) act more out of concern for what they have to go through than thinking about *us*... Yes A,B,C might be more convenient, but that doesn't make it right. I have a double masters in psychology and Sociology from the State University of New York @ Buffalo. I'm nonverbal and use "eyegaze" to type. I also have around the clock nursing care and all of the "typical" (if there is such a thing) difficulties of quadriplegia as well as just the CP diagnosis.

As a qualified mental health professional I honestly can understand your motivations out of concern for your brother, and your son. As a person *in* that exact situation myself, I can assure you that it would not be a wise decision. People w/ disabilities have much more understanding that the rest of society may think. Example: having conducted many IQ/Behavioral/Adaptive Behavior Scale assessments in my career (I'm only 35 but I've been working in the field since I was 26) IQ tests (etc) are biased and reports such as the ABS are *not* designed to highlight positives in an individual. They are designed soley for the professional community to determine diagnoses (test results are always up to the individual interpretation of the examiner rendering the test).

As a direct result, clients often have more positive attributes and better functioning/understanding than is assessed. Example .. I worked w/ a client .. Lets call her D.J. who had CP the same as I do. She was evaluated with a general outcome of a 1 y/o mentality and nonverbal.

I spoke with her and she met w/ our team of therapists and when she found a method of communication that suited her particular situation she was able to articulatably do so and when her staff asked her if she could do something (alludes me).. I heard her (faintly and distortedly) respond "no" . Despite having been treated as Nonverbal and non communicating. Staff asked if she had spoken and she shook her head but when they looked away to tend to another matter, she made eye contact with me and winked. I informed staff but never heard of any further such incidents.

I digress.... What you *feel* may be in the best interest of an individual (with undoubtedly nothing less than the best intentions for your loved ones.. actions you feel and may be deemed at least possible.. May truly not be in the individuals best interest at all.

Again I'd like to remind you of my own situation and tell you that regardless of outward appearances, we still experience the same things as anyone else albeit at times somewhat differently than others. We should also have the right as people to retain the ability to have those life experiences whatvever they may be, without (albeit very well intentioned) disruption of the natural course of things.  I assure you than failure to alter any of these natural activities will most certainly not have any physical or mental damages to your loved ones.

Thank you for the opportunity to respond to your questions and I hope I've been able to be of some assistance.