Cerebral Palsy Community
tendon transfer

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

tendon transfer

Hi. This is the first time I am posting on this site. I was diagnosed with a form of acquired CP from a traumatic brain injury and a spinal cord injury a few years back. I have been dealing with spasticity in my legs. My left is much worse off than my right. I have tried AFO's, oral medications and injectables and nothing seems to be helping. I was referred to an orthopedic surgeon and have had a few opinions thus far. Of the options suggested I am trying to gather information on posterior tendon transfer and a split tendon transfer. Has anyone had either of these procedures? If so, what are you thoughts on the outcome? Did any other complications arise? Are you still in any sort of bracing? Did it improve your quality of life?
Hi!
I am sorry, but on net, it is difficult to ascertain if this technology will help you or not. Posterior tibial tendon transfer or split tendon transfer will help if there is gastronemius and soleus shortening. If the opposite group of muscles is involved, anterior spilt tendon transfer may be required. Sometimes both transfers need to be done. You will need braces, physical therapy and assistance in walking for some time. . The recovery may or may not be complete. You’ll need to depend on the opinion of your treating doctor. You can take a second opinion from another specialist in your area. Take care!