Child Behavior Community
12 Year Old Boy Gropes 13 Year Old Female Cousin while She Was Sleeping...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

12 Year Old Boy Gropes 13 Year Old Female Cousin while She Was Sleeping

I have a 12 year old son who recently was caught squeezing his 13 year old female cousin's butt while she was sleeping.  She was not completely asleep and felt him touching her.  She told her mother.  And myself and my husband confronted our son regarding the behavior and he admitted to it immediately.  We told him he is not to touch anyone without their permission, and he should not be touching his cousin in that manner.  Honestly, I feel really uncomfortable in this situation and I am concerned about my son.  Is what he is doing normal? Should I worry about him being a sexual predator?  I would like to have him apologize to his cousin, my niece, and resolve the whole situation but my sister-in-law is acting like my son is some horrible pervert.  I don't think he is a predator, but I don't know what to do or think.  And what about niece? Is she okay? What do I do? I need some advice on how to make this situation right,  Please help.
I can see a 12 year old wanting to have a girlfriend and wanting to be sexual. His behavior would be normal in that situation. But the average child knows that our relatives are not the people we want to do that with. I would say you have a problem. Because he acted on sexual feelings and even had them toward his cousin that poses a problem. Your niece and her mother have every reason to distance from you right now. An apology will mean nothing if you make him do it. He first has to see what he did was wrong then he has to feel remorse and make the choice to apologize on his own. And frankly i highly doubt his cousin wants to even see his face or hear his name right now. I don't mean to sound mean towards your son, and i apologize. But i want you to know it has nothing to do with you. And the best thing you can do is have him see a therapist b/c the last thing you want is for him to turn into a sexual preditor ---every mothers fear :/ believe me..it's a fear of my own as well.
getting him help will also help you earn the respect of your sister in law---then she will feel like you are truly sorry for what happened. b/c as  much as someone says they're sorry it never means anything unless you can show it through your actions ..good luck