Child Behavior Community
13 year old still sleeping with dad

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

13 year old still sleeping with dad

Is it normal for a 13 yr old boy to still want to sleep with his father? My fiance's son still sleeps with him when he stays over. He used to ask to sleep with us but I told my fiance that is a NO and I will not have that, so instead of making him sleep alone he will sleep with him in the other room. I think it's ridiculous as I have a 6 year old who  sleeps by herself with no problem. Why can't he just tell him he is too old? We have small children learn to sleep alone and we all get over it but he will not make his son sleep alone. I have heard him tell him he is too old before but his son tells him he's scared or what not so he gives in. In my opinion he is making his son co-dependent and helpless instead of trying to raise a young man and I feel as though his son is playing into it. He has no problem spending the night at friend's houses, going to parties and even stays at home alone when he is at his mother's house but that is not the case when he is at our house. My fiance just cannot say no to his son. The way he acts and speaks of his son anyone would think he has a toddler instead of a young man and I just don't think it's healthy at all.
This is also Posted on the Teen parent site where I have answered it,  I said No he needs his own space and Privacy as he will be in Puberty soon, if he is scared find out why and have a chat with your Fiancee. A 13 year old needs his independance, make sure nothing has happened to make him so fearful and ask him how he feels and why he is scared. Make sure he has a nice room and your Fiancee needs to let him go to bed each night by himself.
He needs his own space but I think it should be noted that this say when he is over,  How often is he over?  Otherwise if they see each other infrequently, like visiting an uncle rather than living with a parent as is the norm in the U.S. It may be the equivalent of sharing a tent while camping.