Child Behavior Community
3 1/2 yr old won't poop on potty!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

3 1/2 yr old won't poop on potty!

My 3 1/2 yr old son refuses to poop on the potty. We have tried everything. He finally has pee down pat, but poop he will not do. I've tried bribing him with all sorts of prizes, leaving it alone, telling him only babies poop in their pants, and so on. I'm completely out of ideas. He wears big boy underwear during the day and I put a diaper on him at night. He will hold it as well, and has gone up to 4 days of holding it. I eventually get worried he is going to make himself sick and put a diaper on him so he will poop, but he will also now poop in his big boy underwear. I have tried everything I can think of and my husband and I are at our wits end. He is in daycare during the day and I'm terrified the daycare staff are going to have to change crappy underwear. How embarrassing. He usually holds it until he gets home but I'm still freaked out about it!

If anybody has any ideas other than what I've mentioned, please let me know. He's a very strong willed child, and I almost feel like he won't go as it is the only thing he feels he has control over. Almost as if to say "I'm not doing it because you want me to".
re you certain that he has control over his bowels?  Not moving his bowels for four days straight does not sound normal to me.  If you haven't done this already you might want to consult with your son's pediatrician before considering any behavioral approaches.
I have spoken to the doctor. He said some kids are stubborn and hold it. He is regular (daily) every other time except when he wants to hold it because he doesn't want to poop in the potty. It's not "normal" but my doc says it's not entirely uncommon for stubborn boys!
And yes, I am certain he has control.