Child Behavior Community
3 year old with chronic belly and lower abdominal pain.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My son who will be 4 on October 28th has been suffering from severe chronic pain in his lower abdomen and belly this has been ongoing for over a year now. I have seen several sets of Dr's including GI dr's and Allergists, he has had several endoscopies and biopsies and all they can tell me is that he has E.E. but they do not know the cause of it. I have kept month long diaries of everything he eats and drinks and how he feels I have notebooks upon notebooks of symptoms and info for the dr's and none of it helps, they have done biopsies, endoscopies, Upper GI, stool samples, blood work, allergy scratch testing, allergy sticker testing, ultrasounds, and this is the 2nd set of Dr's and still no one can help him. They have tried several diff meds, nothing works. We are getting ready within the next 2 weeks to do yet another endoscopy and a 3rd set of biopsies. His pain is temporarily relieved when he has a bowl movement and as far as constipation is concerned he has bowel movements A LOT, sometimes up to 8-9 times a day and we are not talking him just going a little bit he goes a LOT. There are times when he vomits non stop for days even waking up at night to vomit or in pain.
Example: We ate lunch at 1:30 this afternoon and by 3:30 he was screaming in pain and then had a bowel movement of undigested food that he had eaten for lunch.
We have done several clean outs.
Meds he currently takes: Omeprazole 20mg 2xdaily, 5mg melatonin at night, and 1/2 a cap of miralax 2xdaily.
I am desperate and just looking to pick as many brains as I can, any ideas anything at all that we can look into. Please I just wanna help my son.
aplynn,  I think you need to go somewhere like the Mayo clinic where doctors will take control and try to figure this out.  

You need to have a doctor who is interested in diagnosing this - I'm sensing you are having to take the helm and go from doc to doc to doc to doc and try to put this puzzle together.

Best wishes -
   I definitely agree with RockRose in that you really need to find specialists for this.  
   I read where you have kept diaries on what he has eaten.  BUT, have you done elimination diets where you have eliminated certain foods - gluten mainly, and seen how he responds.  Because the symptoms sure seem like Celiac Disease - http://celiac.org/celiac-disease/what-is-celiac-disease/
We have done glutin free for almost 3 months we even did the Palio diet we tried eliminating acids where he was on a bland diet. We have seen specialist from Barbra Bush Childrens Hospital, he is now being treated throught a 2nd set of drs at the EGID clinic in Boston Children's Hospital as well as seeing a private practice GI dr. I don't know what else to do I don't know where else to try other then a desperate attempt at finding someone who may have gonna through the same thing or even something similar that is why I am reaching out to the rest of the world, I keep thinking that someone somewhere has to read his and have some idea what could be going on
Well it sounds like you are seeing specialists who care and are trying to track this down.  

It sounds to me that he has inability to digest food, at least intermittently.  In order to treat the EE he has,  he has been put on Omeprozole which inhibits the amount of digestive acids his stomach produces.  

In googling omeprozole,  it seems a very common side effect is stomach pain and bowel movements containing undigested food.

I realize how arrogant it sound to spend 15 minutes googling symptoms and then suggest that to a parent who has struggled for months and many doctors, but is it possible omeprozole is adding to the problem?

Best wishes - keep posting this in many places all over the net and you'll get the answers you're looking for.
Try Pancreatic function tests.
Yeah but the Omeprazole is something he only started taking 3 months ago this has been going on for over a year.
The having bowel movements that contain undigested food has been going on the whole time?  

It sounds like he has a huge cluster of mysterious symptoms - pain,  vomiting,  etc.,  that could be so very many things that you end up with something very difficult to diagnose.

As I understand it,  passing bowel movements of undigested food means only one thing:  lack of production of digestive enzymes.  That's pretty definitive.  And omeprozole inhibits production of digestive enzymes.

So - he's been having that one specific symptom all year - and the docs still put him on a med that would further inhibit his ability to produce digestive enzymes?

Sorry to keep asking questions - I'm really puzzled and trying to work this out.  i came here ages ago to try to find out why my son had "burning feet" when doctors couldn't diagnose it and got my answer here.  ;D