Child Behavior Community
4 year old acting out

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

4 year old acting out

I have a 4 1/2 year old daughter, and since i have come home from the hospital about 2 weeks ago with my third child, she has been acting out really bad.  She doesnt listen, she has been being mean to her brother, anytime i tell her something or she gets in trouble for something she throws a temper tantrum and screams " i don't love you anymore." Ihave tried time outs, talking to her about why she did something or didn't do something, i have tried taking things away from her, explaining to her why we do or do not do whatever it was that she did; i am running out of ideas on how to deal with her.  Do you have any suggestions?

thank you
Hi she is only young, and is probably feeling a little pushed out, it is normal for a child to feel this way when they have a new sibling it is how they show it. She is obviously crying for attention i know as i have 4 of them and each one have acted differently. My eldest son started pooing his self, then my eldest daughter started feeling sorry for herself and moaning that she doesn't get anything then my next daughter started doing what your daughter does. So they all do different things, just be patient and try not to tell her off i know it is hard especially when you are tired with a new born. Good luck Sharon x
Exactly your little girl has some jealousy issues and is feeling left out make sure she gets one to one time with you whilst dad has the Baby, get dad involved aswell playing games with her and taking her for walks , she needs to kno w she is still as important as the new baby is, this will pass and the way she yells she doesnt love you shows she is feeling hurt.
A great book to get is I'm the Big Sister!  This worked wonders for my oldest and she loved having it read to her after #2 was born.  Your daughter needs to know that she is important and still a valuable member of the family.  I completely recommed this book!