Child Behavior Community
4 yr old tensing on chair and zoning out

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

hi, Our 4.5 yr old daughter is on the Gifted and talented register but recently is struggling at school to finish writing. She is tensing up when sitting at her chair - her whole body tenses and she makes 'up and down' movements with her body. Whilst doing this she 'zones out' and says she doesnt know what to write. She started these movements when she was a baby when in her high chair and does it in her car seat now a lot and when sitting at her little wooden desk drawing . She says she doesnt know why she does it?
Please help as she is going to fall behind at school.
thanks
OMG, my daughter is 2 years and almost 3 mths old and does the EXACT same things you are mentioning!!!  i hate coming online cus i'm freaking myself out even more than i need to be, but just a little concerned.  

She is very smart, she's further advanced than alot of children her age...so didn't think i needed to concern myself too much.  she has always done the tensing body and moving body up and down, in her high chair, car seat and small childrens table at daycare.  everyone thinks it's funny cus she makes a serious face and looks so intense.  but i'm starting to get concerned.  i don't know what to think or do???  have you talked to anyone else and come up with anything???  
this is happening to my my six year old exactly the same. We saw a sycologist 2 years ago who said it was a habit nut it is now disrupting her work atschool. The same as you she says she doesnt know why she does it . We are now told by the teacher it may be a slight form of ADD. If you know any more please help:
This sounds like a seizure. There are different types, my daughter gets them without the movements, she spaces out and moves her mouth a bit, tenses and looks like she has stopped breathing but, still get tiny bits in.
There are seizures where they will same the same thing over and over. Tensing and spacing out is what happens in a seizure. Seizures can be caused by low magnesium.
My daughter is 5 and does the exact same thing!!! I thought she was the only one, she has some autistic traits and is going in for an autistic assessment in June....she was tested for seizures at 2 but came back neg....she says she does it cos she is tired
Hi my daughter also tenses up when she goes in the car seat or on her high chair for meals. She pulls faces then settles down. We tend to ignore it as we hope she will come out of it. I am convinced it's not dental related. She does get hot in the cheeks. Have you any advice on any professional help I should seek.