Child Behavior Community
5 year Old Sexual Arousal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

5 year Old Sexual Arousal?

I recently walked in on my 5 year old son and my 3 year old grandaughter with their clothing off (instigated by my 5 yr old, im sure) and they were "checking out eachother's parts" is the answer I received from my son when asked what they were doing.  I tried not to make a big deal out of it even though I was devistated, but I did say, those are private things, get your clothes back on and go play outside.  I am aware that these explorations are normal and that children need to be taught boundaries, but a week later while watching the "godaddy.com" commercial during the Indy 500 race.  With Danica Patrick and the sexy lady cop?  Well.....my 5 year old son grab his penis when the lady cop started to flip her hair, and then she ripped her leather jacket off.  She had a full T shirt on, but the tone and point of it all was sexual.  He leaned over to me and whispered "that girl just made my pee pee get a little hard", "but, don't tell anyone, ok mom?" This, to me is totally different than exploration....(Thanks Go Daddy, by the way.  A million children got your stupid message that day!!!!)   That girl he saw on that commercial was the reason for an erection.  Is this normal too?  At 5 years old?

I do not believe this is normal behavior of such a young child. This is a learned behavior from what he has been exposed to. This is very alarming to have a 5 yr old boy say and do stuff of this nature. This type of behavior really needs to be stopped and constant reminders of good vs bad behavior. Could he have picked this up from elsewhere? Like an older cousin, father, uncle, etc? Maybe not letting him watch this type of programming will help him forget. He should be watching kid appropriate shows or if your gonna watch these types of programs with him, he needs to have this explain to him as to where he will understand right from wrong. You are his parent and these decisions are up to you as to what he does for activities. His access to the t.v. maybe should be limited where he can be monitored by you or another adult. Don't let him get away with this type of behavior as it will only get worse. Also call him on his mistakes and talk to him endlessly. He will eventually understand. Good Luck and take care.
Your words:
He leaned over to me and whispered "that girl just made my pee pee get a little hard", "but, don't tell anyone, ok mom?"

How could he have known to say this without being told this by someone.

Could he have been sexually touched or abused by someone?

The comment saying "don't tell anyone, ok mom" sounds like something an abuser would tell a child.

If I were you, I would make a list of who he has been around recently and maybe you can figure out where he learned this behavior and where he learned to repeat the comments he made.

See a Pediatric doctor for more help.

The only thing my husband and I can come up with is when he was 3 years old I couldn't make it home on time to watch him before my husband had to leave.  There was about a 2 hour period that we agreed to let him be with my 17 year old step son and I had suspician that the 17 year old had porn on in front of him.  I thought that he would forget what he saw by now (if anything).  I know their was something, but can't get the truth out my step son of course. (He was removed from our home immediately)  Other than that he is with us all the time. He attended day care as well. I guess my question for today would be....... could he possibly remember from two years ago?  And the other thing is TV.  We are trying to pay more attention.  I guess we are stupid to think that children are not allowed to watch the Indy 500?  What a joke!
I had a similar experience with my 5 yrs old son. The mother called me over the phone to inform me that my son had a litle erection and showed this to his mum.The surprising thing is that he told his mum that "my penis is in love" There was no way a 5 year old would have been able to know or say this if he had not been told or taken through the process of arousal and the conditions for having an arousal.
I flashed back on his recent activities and discovered that he had been going to my neighour's house who had a 10yr old son and an 8yr old girl.
I am very sure that the boy is responsible for this strange behaviour in my son because my son reprted him to be kissing my 3yr old gaughter behind a curtain sometimes a go when they came to my flat to play with my kids.
I have placed an embargo on him from goiing to my neigbor and introdued a scheduled all-kids-alone TV programs