Child Behavior Community
5 year old daughter cannot sit, talk or walk

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My daughter is over 5 years old but cannot sit, walk or talk. She is mentally retarded. What is her likely condition (cerebral palsy, autism ...?). Can such condition be cured or her quality of life improved? By when do most such children learn to walk?
I am so sorry your daughter has these challenges..I am not certain if we are expert in the matters of celebral palsy , take a look back to the forums page you will see a list on the right of expert/Doctor forums , click on the pediatric one .Good luck
One other thought go to your research engine and put the question or similar in, I expect a lot may pop up, you may also find a support group to join where other parents will have input .
Dyspraxia involves the nervous system and lack of motor control needed to carry out such things you mention (apraxia is when it involves just speech).  

Do you live in the United States?  By law, children with disabilities are provided for in many ways.  Birth to three, your daughter would have been in the "early intervention" program set up by law to provide services as needed for your daughter.  Things like speech, physical therapy, occupational therapy would have been part of that with a case worker overseeing your daughter's development.  The hospital in which your daughter was born as well as your pediatrician would have put you in this program.  Then at 3, the public school system takes over-------- providing a preschool environment (no matter the extent of disability) and services a child needs.  This can include a full aide for support while at school that would be one on one.  

What have the doctors said regarding your daughter and any developmental issues she is having?  What intervention has been introduced?  

I would say that if your daughter had cerebral palsy (lack of oxygen to brain at birth)------ you'd have been told this at her birth.  Most likely this is autism with dyspraxia or dyspraxia (severe lack of motor planning) associated with her chromosomal abnormality.

Intervention is the key. Talk to your doctor about this and if you are not seeing a pediatric developmental specialist, I'd start that process.  Things like physical therapy and speech therapy will certainly be needed along with occupational therapy to teach life skills.  Some kids can be given intervention to help them improve developmentally ---------- this should be started as soon as possible.  (hence, the birth to three program.)  good luck!.  
Many thanks specialmom and margypops. I live in a "developing" country and am thinking of taking my daugther to the US or some other Western country for formal diagnosis and a "step plan".
well good luck to you we do have some wonderful specialist Doctors here in America , keep in touch and let us know how your child is doing .