Child Behavior Community
5 yr old... showing friend her private parts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

I walked in on my daughter showing her friend who is a boy her bottom and private area.. I was very angry towards to her and dont know how to solve the situation... she told me she wanted to kiss him.. she is my baby and i know people say that this is normal but my husband is very upset and a different culture to me.. help..
Sweetie, don't be angry with the little one.  This is normal behavior for children this age.  It isn't so much about sex as it is curiosity.  They figure out at an early age that they have different equipment. The main thing is to explain to her that this is not acceptable and that if she or her friend have questions about their bodies, it is best to ask their mommy or daddy.  The comment about kissing is probably no more or no less than the fact that she likes the boy and she see mommy and daddy kiss, and she see people on tv kiss when they like each other.

Unless the child has been sexually abused, she is probably just acting out what she has seen and heard.  It is much the same as a child picking up curse words.  If you react strongly, it lets them know that this behavior can be counted on to get a reaction out of mommy and daddy.  
I was so upset as my friend was here,an it was her little boy..I know its from tv she has watched kissing..as she always makes comments.."urggh they are kissing" and i remember the age old "you show me yours i'll show you mine" but you always hope that it will never happen an certainly not my child instigate it...
but when my friend left i did blow my fuse a little with her..an told her to stay in her room.,which didnt help the situation.

I had a good talk with her about it tonight an told her that she should never do that with her friend as she is a little girl an its not nice for little girls to that...
I was so worried that my husband would blow his top about it an he didnt..he also sat with her an told he not to do it again..she was more upset about daddy findin out.. so she knew it was wrong...

thankyou for writing back to me though... its just reasurring to hear someone else's words.. x