Child Behavior Community
9 year old boy wets bed;refuses to wear pull-up

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My boyfriend's son is 9 years old. He wets the bed every night. He is fine during the day,but once in a while he will have an accident because he doesn't want to stop playing.( We are a blended family. I have 2 teenagers,boy and girl. He has 3 kids,1 girl, 14, and 2 boys, 12 & 9. We both have a girl together,18 mos.) Since we've been together,4 years, the 9 year old has wet the bed even before got together. Their Mom died in 2005.

We have gone round and round with this issue.I don't say much about the night time wetting. I've suggested he take him to a doctor,but my boyfriend says to wait it out. That there is nothing that can be done. Lately in the last year the boy has been doing odd things. He put a pull up on after school and he urinated in it. He always urinates in the pull up in the morning instead of using the toilet. Just recently he urinated in the bathtub and out side the back door! (He denied both incidences). These things do upset me because I feel he is just being lazy and doesn't care. Well now he is refusing to wear a pullup at night. He keeps saying he forgot. He didn't forget. He just refuses to put it on.

His father doesn't seem to be bothered by this and takes it lightly. I am at my wits end. I'm trying to figure out if this is a
psychological or emotional  thing and how to deal with this. I've never had a situation like this with my kids. Is there anything I can do? This seems to be getting worse.
Ew
Thank you
I would definitely take him to the doctor. It could be behavioral, but it might not be. Either reason is important to address. It sounds like he is trying to tell you something. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it to his face, but quietly take it very seriously.

Also, if you don't have one I would go buy a water proof mattress pad. This way the mattress won't get ruined.
Yes, he needs to see a doctor, especially if this has been going on for as many years as you say. This is not something to take lightly, as it obviously has not improved at all for so many years, and now that he's older and doesn't have it under control, the issue is only going to set him up for embarassing situations among his peers and cause psychological distress.
Like Diva2317 said, whether this is behavioral or physical, this issue needs medical attention, and soon.
you say its once in a while ' your words ..so why is it so concerning ..?....
The dynamics here are wrong I think this child does need help and your post is confusing .
I'm sorry about that.  What I meant to say was, he does wet the bed EVERY night. During the day he is OK, but occasionally he will have an accident because he doesn't want to stop playing. The other things he does like urinating in the pull up first thing every morning, bath tub, bottles, etc. are done consciously.