Child Behavior Community
9 year old issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

9 year old issues

My son is very bright but I notice something very odd with him, he is scared to wash his own hair and acts as if I'm killing him when I try to do it, he's scared to swollow a small tablet and to use his inhaler without the chamber that they give parents when a child is very young. He always has a twitch in his eyes that gets worse when stressed or excited. My doctor is going to schedule an eeg to check for any neurological disorders and if all is well there he will send him to a behaviorist. He thinks some of his symptoms sound like aspergers, any insight on what else this may be? I'm very patient with him but he's very overwhelming at times, but I do understand that he can't help himself.
Could also be Tourette Syndrome.  I think you are definitely on the right track with a medical exam.  
Hi there.  I have two boys, one is 10 and the other is 9.  One has been diagnosed with sensory integration disorder.  he is highly quirky.  He has an issue with shampoo in the eyes. the way things like a tag in the shirt feels, issues with changes in routine, etc.  He also has anxiety.  he has a complex vocal tic that developed last year that appears when he is excited or nervous.  He says the word "yeah'.  He does have some control over it.  His doctor feels it is a symptom of anxiety and by working on anxiety strategies, it is better.  So far, so good with that.  I would describe my son's quirks sometimes as overwhelming because they frankly don't make that much sense to me.  However, he has learned how to cope with them via occupational therapy as well as ways of regulating the nervous system that all of the things he is sensitive to bother him less.

I also have a 9 year old.  He has no neurological issue, behavior issues, developmental delays.  He hates to rinse his hair in the shower!  He has things that he likes and doesn't like and is firm about  it.  He can NOT take a tablet--  either must be chewable or liquid.  (we've tried.).  

Our occupational therapist said that most people have quirks and oddities unique to them and that they only become a disorder when they impede with one's life.  

My older son had issues functioning in school, with peers, etc.  My younger son didn't. Both have quirks though.

So, my question is how are these things impacting his life?  Is he more like my first son or my second or somewhere in between?
My son sounds more like ur 10 year old. As to it affecting his life, he states that he doesn't realize he's doing it. His teacher's have called me with concerns about his eye twitches. My son says that some kids used to pick on him but now they just inquire why he does it. He occasionally does this throat clearing things as well which I feel may also be a tic of sorts. Any time we ask him why he does it or what's the matter, he just shruggs or stays quiet or says "I don't know". My son has to literally say good night to everyone a dozen times before he heads off to bed. He would rather play alone then with his friends or brothers, he gets easily angry and frustrated when things don't go his way and seems to yell and over react often. You should see the way he acts when watching his hair, I even use tear free shampoo but nothing helps. He screams and yells as if someone is dying him. He has said before that he feels he's going to "drown" and I've assured him that it's impossible. ::sighs:: I just hope we get it all figured out asap.
Washing* not watching and *someone is killing him, not dying him. Lol sorry.
You hit many things that are very much like my son with sensory integration disorder.  Google SPD or sensory processing disorder and a web site will come up.  Kids that have mild sensory issues often blend in a bit but still have quirks of complaints from teachers.  This could be the issue with your son.  Look at that site and see what you think.  If it seems like it may apply at all, I have lots of suggestions that have helped things tremendously with my son.  I'm happy to share ideas!!
   Yes, I really do agree with specialmom.  check out this site - http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/