Child Behavior Community
Baby talk

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Baby talk

My 4 year old son still talks "baby talk".  When you ask him a question about anything he starts talking like that.  So its hard to understand him.  You try to tell him that I don't understand "baby talk" and to talk like a big boy but he does not change. Is this normal?
I don't know if its normal, but my 6 year old will occasionally do this as well. I tell him, "The "baby" can't stay. Only big boys can stay. Please send the baby away."

He generally only does this when he is stressed or anxious about something. So when it starts, after we "send the baby away" I will try to talk to him about what might be bothering him. If he does it again, or refuses to send the baby away, he gets a 2 minute time out.

If your son is doing this all the time, I suggest that you tell him you won't be listening to him if he does the baby talk. The next time he does it, either ignore him until he complies or send him to time out until he complies. That might stop the cycle.

I totally get how annoying that is-- some people can handle it, but its like fingers on the chalkboard to me!!!!
My son is 4 as well and in many occasion talk "baby talk , most of the times when he is upset or needs to react fast. I have no idea why?'' but to me it is not normal. We live in Spain in a place that hardly no one speaks english not even Dr.s and I really dont know what to do... . From the beginning he was very slow at speech, he is improving all the time but still isn't as most 4 years old. He is smart in many way but at school for example he wont play or interact with any other kids, he is mostly playing by himself and not really interested in learning. We moved to Spain when he was 2 years old. At home we speak only English but at school (for the last 2 years) he is been talked to only in Spanish. the teachers says he understand all but wont really talk, maybe just a few words. Any advise??
Maybe I should also add, I speak other languages as well and he hears me talk all the time