Child Behavior Community
Child making strange repetitive noises

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Child making strange repetitive noises

My son is 5 years old. He has been making repetitive noises throughout the day for about a week now. The sounds are almost like a snorting sound that he makes with his mouth. He even does this when doing activities. When asked to stop he will say that he has to do this or he will stop for a minute and then continue to do it. Any ideas what this could be?????? THANKS.
I can't hear the noise so this will just be guessing. Does he have allergies? A post nasal drip will make people do a snorting in the back of their throat kind of noise and it can become a habit. Any family history of Tourettes that you know of? DONT freak...just a question. Tics often manifest as grunts or snorts. You asked...I offered an OPINION. Could be something else. A Pediatrician might be a good start.
Hi.  Yes, it could be some way he has found to itch his throat.  

Also, tics perhaps.  But also my son has sensory issues and when he was evaluated to be diagosed, I was questioned several times if he made lots of noises such as you describe.  Some kids will also sing.  It can be a way children try to calm themselves and a way they try to stay focused on what they are doing.  

Personally, I'd completely ignore it for a bit.  If you hear he is doing it at school---------  then it is a bigger issue.  But I'd ignore it and see if it goes away.  If not, you can talk to his pediatrician.  My guess is it is going to go away.  good luck
My 5 yo grandson makes loud noises continually, it's always some kind of hoot or screaming, he also exhibits hyperactivity behaviors, he is very bright intellectually but his impulsive behaviors are effecting his education. I know you cannot ***** his condition through these few words but any assistance is appreciated.
BlingBlang, does he do these noises everywhere or is it specific to school?  Is he hyperactive everywhere or just at school?  

Have you tried to get a lot of physical activity into his day to see if this helps calm him down?  (my son's nervous system is in over drive and seeks input, we give it to him outside of school and then he can function IN school).  

What is school saying about him?
My almost 5 year old daughter has been making noises for 2 years now. It is a clearning the throat noise and sometimes a click of the tongue. It happens MANY times a day, as I type this she has already done it 7 times. It happens at home, in the car, at school, anywhere. Mainly when she is quiet. She did have her adnoids and tonsils removed before this began. I dont know why she does it and when mentioned at Drs, they said its not a big deal. But we are looking at 2-2.5 years of this.? She is a very bright and intelligent girl, she has had some medical issues (heart irregularities and apnea mainly) and no history or tourettes. Any thoughts?
Hi. My son used to make odd noises and then I took him in to an allergy Dr. The allergy doctor gave him Advair for like 6 months and the noises went away. Now my daughter has started making weird noises and says she can't control it. She has asthma and I think that may be contributing to it but I will ask her Dr. to find out. I hope this helps in some way!
Onde of the "glorious" phases of childhood. Plug your ears. He will get over it.