Child Behavior Community
Complusive Lying

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Complusive Lying

Recently a close friend of mine has confronted me with how much I have lied to him. I have lied about little insignificant things to some pretty major ones. Sometimes it isn't even lying straight to his face it's just not telling him the entire truth. We are still young, in our late teens, but I really do care about him. I try NOT to lie to him but sometimes I just do it. I think I'm protecting out relationship by not telling him everything because I think he will get angry with me for something I'm doing. Something he really shouldn't be being angry at me for. So I don't tell him the entire truth, I try to bend it, not necessarily for MY benefit but for our benefit., so that our friendship won't fall apart. He is very important to me because he's the only one I've been able to be close with and have a connection. I am not close to anyone in my family, and when I have a problem I go to him. What should I do? Should I try therapy? Please Help!!
Don't get into this habit of choosing friends you have to lie to to placate.

This is a habit you'll regret.  Do your best to do the right thing,  and then don't be pushed by someone else's expectations to lie or bend the truth.

It's a habit,  and it will make you miserable.

Best wishes.
I have a girl that lies a lot compulsive she says she can't help it though she knows lying is wrong I am working with her on this since she is 13 now it only gets worse and if you have to lye there is something wrong and making choices not to lye is much better than lying and one day if you continue it can create a horrible dominoe affect because it's usually starting with the one lye then you continue telling all those lyes to cover up the one you first started. so once you make the choice to tell the truth and if for some reason he can't handle it you need to hang out with someone else.