Child Behavior Community
Copying other kids

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Copying other kids

My 3 year old daughter is very normal for her age in all areas like, reading, writing, watching TV, playing running etc. She is quite independent in doing everything at home or outside and learns fast. It's just been a few months though (3-5) that she has started to copy other kids a lot. She copies the kids older or younger than herself regardless of the fact that she knows or don't know the other things they are doing. Like if she will see a baby at a store and she goes to him/her and tries to imitate thier sounds and actions. In her dance class, she just likes to do what other girls are doing and not look at the teacher. If one other girl is hugging her mon, she will do that, if the other girls starts crawling or jumping, my daughter will copy her behavior in the similar fashion. It just concerns my husband and I, because she is normal in any other given situation, but as soon as she is with other kids, she will copy them. I try to tell her that she can do what she wants to do, but she doesn't understand. She also started pre-school day care just a month ago, and even her teacher over there is concerned. She does everything right and is a quick learner when the teacher works with her alone, but with other kids she just does everything that they are doing. her peers get annoyed by this, and although the teacher told them that she is a little younger, but still it concerns me a lot because i have not seen other 2 or 3 year olds doing the same thing. I woukd apprecaite a detailed answer, instead of general information because that i can find over the internet. Your specific and related answer will be of much help. thanks

This discussion is related to 3 1/2 yr. old constantly mimics other kids.
Tags: copying