Child Behavior Community
Febrile Seizures

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Febrile Seizures

I don't know if this is the right forum or not but I need answers. On Saturday night (July 6th) my fiance's son was running a little warm, we figured it was due to playing outside all day (it was about 90 out) and from it being warm in the house. But he generally "runs warm" and everyone calls him "The Human Heater." Around 3:30 Sunday morning, my fiance and I got up so we could take his father to the airport and Brandyn was awake. We gave him half a banana and a baby tylenol. My fiance and I got back from the airport at 7am. Brandyn woke up as soon as we got home. He was talking, still warm but refused to move,eat or drink. At 8am, we made breakfast, I tried to get him to walk over to me and realized he wasn't looking at me, but looking up and to the side. His arms started shaking and I told my fiance. Brandyn was completely unresponsive and started to shake. He vomited on my fiance and he couldn't stand. We rushed him to the E.R and found out he had a febrile seizures (fever induced seizure). The doctor told us this affects children 9months to 5 years old. He is 2 1/2 years old. He's never had a seizure before. Needless to say, this scared the heck out of my fiance and I. When we got to the hospital, the seizure was over, it lasted a total of about 5 minutes. When we got there, his temperature was 100.8, when then took it anally it was 103.2. They gave him a Tylenol suppository and an hour later his temperature dropped back to 100. They discharged him and told us to keep an eye on him. Now that he's had a seizure, he'll be prone to getting them now until he's 5. My question is, is it guaranteed that he'll have another one? Or is that just hypothetical? Does anyone have experience with febrile seizures?
The only child I know who had a febrile seizure, had only one. When my children had fevers I did not give them anything to bring them down unless they were high. But one of my children would get trembly when feverish and I always felt might be on the edge of a seizure. I always medicated him to keep the fever down. (I don't remember if I discussed this with his doctor.) Ask your pediatrician how best to handle your stepson when he is ill.
He said to give him Children's Tylenol and Children's Motrin when he starts feeling warm. You can mix them since they don't come in contact with each other. The Tylenol goes to the liver and Motrin goes to the kidneys, or vice versa, I don't remember which medication effects which organ. But I was just wondering if it's definite that he would get one every time his temperature spiked up. Thank you.
   You don't want to go by "feeling warm".  Spend the money to get a good thermometer that will take his temp.  The reviewers on cosumers Reports seemed to like the
Exergen TemporalScanner TAT-2000C  which Babies R us carries for about $40.    Frankly,  thats a lot of money, but the reviews of the digital oral ones were not very good.  However, the people may not have left them in the mouth long enough.
   Point being, that you need to know when his temp spikes.  Good link here from Mayo clinic with more info - http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thermometer/HQ01481/NSECTIONGROUP=2
My fiance have two thermometers, one oral and one anal. For being two, Brandyn rarely gets sick. But we're starting to take his temp every other day though.
    Practice feeling his forehead and guessing his temp and then check it with the thermometers.  You should be able to get to the point where you can "feel" when it is going up.  Then use the thermometers.
       I can certainly understand why you would be checking his temp so often - that is a real scary thing to go through.  But, if you can safely avoid doing it so much (because your sense of feel has been trained), It will make things easier for all of you.