Child Behavior Community
How long is too long to still be crying before school?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Hello

Wondering how long is too long and when to worry if a child is still crying before school each morning.  An almost 7 year old in first grade that I love very much, still cries every morning before the bus comes.  I'm wondering at what point this is too long.  

Forgot to include that today was the last day in the sixth week of school.

Thank you!
Could there be a reason, how does he /she get on at school what does he say when you ask why he s unhappy,could there be any meaness, bullying going on ? Speak to the teacher, ask how he is doing once he gets there and mixes with the other children . Has he any siblings at home, is all well there ...?
Nothing has changed at home.  Her parents are both teachers and they've always worked the same schedule, so she's been at child care and preschool and kindergarten for the last three years.  Her brother is at child care and preschool, not home with mom.  Teacher says she's tearful at times during the day, but her school work is ok and she's made one or two friends.  This has been since day one and she always says her mom is sooo far away.  She will stand frozen and just yell "Mommy" when the bus is coming.  

Her mom and dad took their first vacation wihtout the kids this past summer to Mexico for their 10th anniversary and I keep telling the mom she should explore this with her.  I'm wondering if it's a delayed separation anxiety.  Her mom's only 10 miles from the school.  

Six weeks seems really long to me, and I'm trying not to over analyze, but I am worried about her.  
   I agree with Margypops.  Also ask the teacher if she is still crying when she gets to school or at any times during the day.  You might also see if she has any neighborhood friends on the bus that you could talk to and see what the bus ride is like.  But definitely talk to the teacher.  6 weeks is a long time to still be crying!
She does have a friend on the bus, but she finds no comfort in that.  I try to get her to talk with this other little girl at her stop and she is completely disinterested....overcome with worry.  
Yes, this does sound like separation anxiety.  However six weeks is not an overly long time for crying from anxiety (although some would disagree).  This child does seem to be able to cope and function at school most of the time so it would appear that her anxiety is not that severe.  i'm assuming that this child is able to eat, use the washroom, learn and interact with her peers while at school - (those children with severe anxiety are unable to do these things).

You should be able to find lots of information on the internet to better help you with this child.  Try googling "separation anxiety and school" or "separation anxiety and advice", or "how to help a child with anxiety" or similar words/phrases.  Perhaps she could carry something that belongs to her mother to help her feel safer while at school.  If she is still crying by Christmas, then her parents might have to consult a pediatrician for advice.  But, I really think this child should be fine - but it will take a few months.  All the best ...