Child Behavior Community
My 4 year old girl killed a kitten

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My 4 year old girl killed a kitten

a few nights ago we found a stray kitten on our porch, we took it in, gave it a bath (it was covered in a smelly liquid) and took it in our libing rom to dry, Paige was so excited, we have an adult cat and she had never seen a kitten, She held it to her chest, gave it lil kisses, told him how cute he was. .. . . . she began playing with him a lil roughly so I quickly let her know to be gentil and that she could kill it, she calmed the play and for 30 min it was fine, then I noticed dhe had the kitten in her hands, she squeezed the cat around the neck/mid section, it gave out a lil yell and then went limp, I ran over, got the cat and ran to the bathroom, it was too late he was dead, I had no idea what to do, she was screaming "give me back my kitty", I had to explain to her she had killed the cat, she was devastated, crying like crazy, but I'm not sure if she killed it on purpose, she just held it and squeezed it hard in her hand, I was thinking maybe the small size of it intreged her and the fact that it fit in one hand. She was expecting to keep the kitten, she really wanted it, so why did she kill it? she mentioned something about the kitties ribs were like hers.... the cat seemed very underfed and she could feel the ribcage through his skin, I thought maybe she was experamenting with the cat feeling it's body and bones and she squeezed too hard. I really have no idea, all I know is she is a vert sweet and loving lil girl, we have an adult cat we adobted a few months ago and a dog since she was 2, never once has she hurt eaither of them, and they have nipped and scratched her many times through the years. . . . so I can't see her wanting to be violent to the kitten, yet she killed it.. . . we burried the kitten that night and had a lil funeral, she painted a headstone for the grave. the next morning she was fine, first thing she asked if she could dig him up to give hm a hug. I explained to her why she couldn't do that and she moved on with her day......... through out the day I asked her a few questions about it, "what happened?" she said I squeezed the kitty, "Why", she said IDK, "We're you mad at the Kitty?" she said no, then a while later she said the sun was mad at the kitty, "Why was the sun mad at the Kitty?" because the Kitty was mad at the Sun. I have no idea what she was talking about, after a while of answers of IDK.. .. .  and because. . .. she tells me "MOM, stop talking about this." I asked why and she said "talk about it later" and so I ended it at that, I want to ask her so much and see what she was thinking when it all happened, I just don't want to go too far and mess her up about it more than she already is, part of me thinks she is avoiding answering because she intended to kill it  and dosn't want to get in trouble and the other believes she never ment to kill it and the guilt of the "accident" hurts her, please give me a lil advice here, what should I say, I do not want to take her to see someone if it was an accident, I really don't want a stranger asking her questions about it. but if it was intentional I will get her help.
I would sit her down and not let her have the control of the conversation. You need to take control and tell her that she needs to sit down and talk to you about it in full conversation and tell you why she killed this kitty. Once she has done this, then you can deal with the situation accordingly. If you let her keep avoiding the situation, she'll do this forever. Tell her that she has to talk now so that you and her can put the whole thing behind and not have to talk about it again. She has to face the situation now, not later. If she keeps putting this off, she could start having nightmares. Are you sure that she's not avoiding the situation out of guilt? Some people will do that in hopes that it will just go away. If things do go too far, then I would suggest taking her to a professional but I think this could be handled at home. Good luck.