Child Behavior Community
One in a Million?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

One in a Million?

Is it normal behavior for a 6 year old boy to still be clingy?  When we go places with other kids, he won't let go of me.  He knows these kids so I don't understand why he can't let go and have fun.  He doesn't like going to birthday parties, his own for that, and if we go to an amusement park he won't go on rides unless I go with him.  He doesn't play any sports because after his first experience with t-ball I said that was it, because I got tired of running the bases with him!  He shuts down at school and will not do the assignment, even if he understands it.  He gets upset in class and starts to cry sometimes.  What is going on with him?  Another thing, he still wears a diaper at night and has never been dry through the night.  He will not go number 2 without one of us wiping him and it is getting old.  Is he a control freak or just a freak?
What an awful last sentence,  chasersmom.  

He sounds like an introvert.  And no,  they aren't one in a million,  they've very common.  

As he grows older and has more choices,  he'll probably choose to be in situations where there are no crowds,  and he'll have a few very close friends rather than a huge circle of acquaintances.

I don't think you're helping him at ALL with the attitude that your sweet child is a freak.  : (
Maybe he senses how you feel about him and thinks you don't want him around, so he clings tighter?????
Your son is not a freak nor is he a control freak.  And he is not "one in a million".  I suspect your son suffers from anxiety which is the most common mental health issue suffered by children.  Your words - still be clingy, won't let go of me, doesn't like birthday parties, won't go on rides, running the bases with him, shuts down at school, will not do assignment, upset in class, cry sometimes, wears diaper at night, will not go number 2 - all are behaviours common to children suffering from anxiety.  By the way, your son is unable to do these things as the anxiety he feels "paralyzes" his brain and this prevents him from interacting with others.  Children suffering from anxiety require treatment which consists of intervention, therapy and/or medication to teach them to learn "how to manage their fears".

I like to define anxiety as "intense distress which can reach toxic levels in the body".  Anxiety is an inherited trait (I suspect from both parents) but it is highly treatable and  with early treatment the prognosis is excellent.  Anxiety will not go away nor will your son outgrow it.  Please see your family physician about this issue - if he/she is not experienced in working with anxiety-related disorders, then ask for a referral for a specialist as child pediatrician, child psychologist/psychiatrist, child developmental  doctor or mental health person with experience in anxiety disorders.

I might suggest you do a google search using the words "childhood anxiety disorder" and see if any of the behaviours listed describe your son.  Our child suffers from extreme anxiety and I understand your pain and confusion.  Today, our child is able to behave in a "normal" manner after lots and lots of patience and treatment.  But there is help and anxiety can be managed extremely well.  Please seek help.