Child Behavior Community
SENSORY PROCESSING

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

SENSORY PROCESSING

Hi child psychologist is not sure whether my child is suffering from sensory processing disorder. Wants to have him evaluated. We´ve already gone through 8 theraphy sessions with one psychologist and now she wants us to go to another institute to have him checked out. At first she said it´s a thing of setting limits at home, then after having me describe the most difficult moments of the day she phoned and said she suspects a sensory issue. My husband resists the idea of him having sensory problems and does not agree to have him checked out. I do not know if this is the right path. Probably it´s just a discipline and consistency thing. Could those of you who have children with sensory issues tell me how you discovered which was the problem? Thanks
If an expert is recommending this be evaluated, I'd have the evaluation at least.  I had a neighbor with sensory issues as a young child that only got much much worse after years of nothing being done.  Ignoring a problem never makes it better.  And sensory issues are not anything that can be resolved by discipline, so it might just be adding to the problem.

Best of luck
Hi.  I'm the mother of a boy with sensory integration disorder.  He was diagnosed at 4 and we have done occupational therapy since.  Having him evaluated and treated was the best thing we have ever done.  My son is so much happier and doing really fantastic in school.  He was falling apart prior to this and didn't have a friend to his name.  I was so very sad when a therapist observing my child in preschool suggested he may have sensory integration disorder.  I thought it was the end of the world.  Then I realized that it did not change for a second how much I loved my child.  He's a great kid.  But, I wanted to give him the coping skills to enjoy school, friends, and life in general.  

Sensory integration disorder is something that you can make a lot better!!  Occupational therapy has helped us work on his nervous system through various physical activity as well as worked on different behavioral issues.  

I want to wholeheartedly agree that sensory issues can not be controlled with consistency and discipline.  They can't help it.  It is real. Their nervous system isn't functioning properly.  Your job as a parent is to help correct that but through means that  address the root cause.  

If they suggest an evaluation--------- take them up on the offer.  An occupational therapist is the route to take and I'm telling you-------------  it has changed my son's life.  
If you think more about sensory integration/processing disorder and want any ideas of things to try at home or have any examples of things that happen at school that you'd like ideas for---------- let me know.  We work really hard on this and I'm happy to share ideas.  good luck
I would go and have him checked out by an OT.  Get a referral from your pediatrician, please do so, find out if that is something that can help.  My son is in therapy for SPD and it has helped, he still has his moments, but the meltdowns are much less and he is so much more in control of his body.  He used to hit a lot and get angry a lot. IT was very hard.   Some people said it was a discipline thing too, with sensory kids it's different.  If they are saying to look at it, DO It!!  It could really help you and your kid!!!
I have twin sons that have been diagnosed with Spd..ocd...adha..and autistic spectrum disorder. I have also went through everyone thinking there was a discipline issue and the feeling of failing at parenting. It is tough and everyday is different...sleeping...eating...mood. From one extreme to another. With twins they feed off eachother so at times I don't even know what's copy cat and what's real. Now I just do what I think is in my boys best interest and the heck with everyone elses opinion. Get a diagnosis for your child...he may be eligible for an IEP for school and it will make his life much easier and the teachers will see him in a much different way.