Child Behavior Community
Signs of Being Gay

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Signs of Being Gay

My 6 year old son has an attraction to seeing men with no shirt on. When we are in the grocery store check out line he often gets excited when looking at the muscle magazines and points out male nipples  or men with large chests.  He points them out to me with excitement, "Look at him mommy!".  

I am a single mother and my son does not see his father nor does he have regular male role models.  He often seems to be excited when men take time with him and often does not want them to leave.  He has shown other strange behavior like shaking his rear-end at other boys and men to get their undivided attention.  He is not feminie and his other behavior seems to be normal.

Is my son just showing a normal behavior for a boy that does not have male role models or is this a sign that he could be gay?
I think it has nothing to do with him possibly being gay. Children this age admire and look up to a certain type of man that they want to be like. That's why they have hero's like Superman, or a famous baseball player. The fact that he gets excited when he looks at muscle bound men tells me that he admires that and wants to be like that. I don't think there's anything sexual about it at all. I think he's telling you that he wants to be like that when he grows up. He's looking at all these muscles and probably thinking, "Wow, they're so big and strong. I bet they can do just about anything! I bet nobody could beat them!" Do you get my drift? A 6 year old child is not usually thinking sexually unless they've been introduced to sexual behavior too early. That's why 6 year old's like to play with GI Joes. They are pretending and play acting that they are this big, strong man who wins the wars and is stronger than anyone else. I honestly think this is what's going on and I don't think you need to worry about anything sexual yet at this point. Now if he was 16 and showing attraction to men and not dating girls, that'd be a different story. But he's 6 and like most 6 year olds he play acts and imagines a lot. Perfectly normal.
I agree with April 2.  My daughter is six and she wiggles her booty all the time--I feel kind of bad because I taught her that--one day.  Anyway, back to the point--I think he is just looking for male role models.
I'm 16 and I masterbate over pictures of young girls, I feel that this is not normal, and that I could turn out to be a peadophile although I would never touch or molester a child! But I would like to know what you think
-Man I Thinkk If A Kid Wants Too Be Gay Its Okay, Im Not Sayinq I Am.. But Yuhh Shudd Lovee Your Childd However They Appear Too Be.. If Yuhh Disreqaurdd Your Childd.. Thats Extraa Stupidd.. God Loves Us Thee Way We Aree, Not Thee Way Other Peoplee See Us.. So Support Your Childd &' Be Luckyy Too Even Givee Out Any Experiencee...