Child Behavior Community
Small Town, my 6 yr old spelled the c word twice

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My 6 year old daughter saw the c word and has since spelled it twice.They are all independent of each other. I was gently told today that parents are making other parents aware that my daughter is spelling this word and to be careful if she plays with their children. She has also mentioned that she doesn't know why she says what she says and does what she does. I am at such a loss and my hearts breaking. I was picked on in school and was never invited to any friends houses or birthday parties. Now, my poor little girl who loves, plays, smiles and has a huge heart is doing things to make others not want to be her friend.

I am so afraid for her and want whats best. This week has been hell for me 4 human deaths and a feline death. When I was told about parents telling each other, I said that that was at the bottom of my list because of all the loss I am dealing with this week. I was then told that that concerns them because that should be at the top of the list. I explained that my girl was punished, had things taken away from her and was yelled at. That she had her favorite things taken away from her. She wrote a note to the little girl she spelled it to saying she was sorry. I was told that my daughter can't play with this little girl alone for a while.

I understand that, I really do, but what can I do to help my child? She's had some issues in the past and is seeing a child therapist, but now, I'm not so sure that that's working. She has such a loving nature, very clingy with me and hates to be away from me. What is there for me to do? My beautiful little princess deserves to have friends and to be good. So scared for her. Please help me help her. Please.
I think that you should discuss this situation with your daughter's therapist.  If you don't discuss these type of issues with the therapist, what is the purpose of having a therapist?  If you don't feel that the therapist is effective, perhaps you should consider hiring a different therapist, one that you and your daughter feel comfortable with.
   I certainly agree with Mark.  Also realize that, if at this age your daughter is seeing a therapist, cures do not happen overnight.  Well, at any age things do not happen over night.  So definitely talk with your daughter's therapist.  Also I would assume that the therapist is telling you things that you can do at home with her.  And you also might want to discuss appropriate ways to change her behavior.    
Sweetheart she is six years old. Their brains are like sponges still....

My opinion is a lot of this is coming from the parents. I don't think your daughters friends are going to withdrawal themselves from her just because of the word. The parents are basically telling their kids to stay away from your little girl, which is completely wrong.

I'm sorry to hear you are going through so much and if it was me that would be on the bottom of my list too. Yes its important to deal with the issue, but its not that bad. She is a little girl in a big world full of bad language. If i were you i would talk with the other parents civilly and make them understand its a problem you are working on and make sure to tell them to back off. You seem like a concerned, good parent and shame on them for isolating your daughter.

Much Love, Lexis

I've done all that, her therapist is wonderful and we are working together for her to have a happy healthy life. She is smart, warm, caring, loving and extremely intelligent. She understands she made a huge mistake and why she can no longer be friends with one of her best friends. Just a sad thing all around.
Thank you Lexis,

She is doing better and understands her mistake. Hoping she continues to be good.
I can't see what all the fuss is about. Every child, at a certain period in his life, takes pleasure in using forbidden words. Big deal!. So you make them understand that they can't do it and that should be the end of it. It would seem to me that you have a bunch of petty and nasty parents in your town.