Child Behavior Community
Smells everything

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Smells everything

A 5 year old boy has a habit of smelling everything, or touching items then constantly smelling his
hands, with recent emphasis on not touching anything, but holding his hands away from himself
so that he doesn't touch anything.  What do you think about this?
Tags: smelling
sadly my husband smells everything too. maybe it is a male thing,lol
I smell everything--my family always joked about it growing up.  My sister does it, too, but not as much as me.  Our kids also smell everything.

I have a very acute sense of smell and always smell things before others or the smell is more intense (like a skunk while driving--I always comment first that I smell one and it takes others in the car several seconds to a minute longer to smell it).

Also, because my sense of smell is so acute, I prefer bland foods (smell contributes greatly to taste).  I'm overly sensitive to strong flavors and spicy foods.  So, if your son also doesn't like onions or garlic or thinks things are spicy when you don't, he's probably not exaggerating.

Regarding not touching things, perhaps he had an odor on his hands that he didn't like that he could not get rid of.  Ask him about it.  Ask him to help choose hand soaps (so it's a scent he likes) --there is a lemon Softsoap called "Kitchen Fresh Hands" that it's made for neutralizing odors.  Sometimes the smell on my hands after cutting onions will actually wake me in the night, so I can understand that he may be reluctant to get his hands smelly.
Im having that problem with my 7yr old daughter, it's starting to drive me insane, which is probably no fault of hers, she smells everything which has been on her hands, eg itches her nose she smells it, touches something 3 seconds later she smells her hands and everything she puts in her mouth... hoping it's not some sort of ocd, could anyone else enlighten the matter please.....
I am having the same problem with my eight year old son. He smells everything and even our pets. We have a 100 lb dog and a 3 lb dog that he smells all the time. He smells food,toys,books what ever his hands touch he smells.Is this a form of ocd? I need answers so bad.
My son who is just about 6 has had sensory issues his whole life. At 3 yrs old he was washing hs hands up to 20 times a day, which dissapeared eventually only to be replaced by him clearing his throat all the time. A few months ago he started to smell his hands after touching anything and it has really become a problem (meaning he does it a lot).

He is very intellent, having no problems in school but I am wondering what I should do about this? I am starting to worry that he may have Tourette's. They thought he might have Asperger's when he was smaller. We obviously need another trip to the Dr.

Thanks for reading... any feedback is welcome.
My four year old daughter loves to touch her three month old brothers head and then smell her fingers.  She does it every time she touches him, and she acts like she can't resist touching him, like she has to do it.  It bothers me because she will not leave the poor baby alone.  She also hoards her toys instead of playing with them, and will not let her other brother touch them. She also thinks she is the boss of the house and trys to boss her brother around.  This all might be because she is the first born, but sometimes her habits seem obsessive.
I had kids that liked to smell everything ,,nothing other than normal in ,y opinion , I like to sniff now and again ...its usually roses or sweet smells now but when I was a kid I would sniff anything  and I think I am normal ...lol.
Hello, I know this post is old, what did you find out about your son? You described my son exactly in your comments. He is 11 and I have an appointment in a few weeks to have him evaluated. Like you said about your son, mine is very intelligent.