Child Behavior Community
Tactile Sensitivity--Clothing issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Tactile Sensitivity--Clothing issues

I am a special educator and I have a clothing line for kids with tactile sensitivity.  We are looking to develop seamless undergarments and other seamless items to add to our sensory friendly clothing line.  Out of the following, what is your largest dressing challenge if you have a sensory sensitive child?

This discussion is related to Clothing sensitivity, so hard to get child dressed , only getting worse.
25%
 (1) 
underwear
25%
 (1) 
socks
25%
 (1) 
jeans
25%
 (1) 
dressy clothing
4 Members voted
WOW.  I can't believe how long it's taken for someone to launch into this very very lucrative field.  I have a friend who was searching endlessly for this stuff about 15 years ago,  with 3 kids with sensory defensiveness.

Good luck.    If you market this website well, you will be rolling in orders from grateful parents!
Socks are the biggest issue for my child.  They now make t shirts and underwear without tags, so that has helped a lot.  I think if the seams in those bothered my child, that would be our number one issue.  He does alright without the tags.  

Anyway, glad to see more things done for sensory kids as the mother of one!!!
My son will only wear elastic knit pants, nothing like jeans, I think they are uncomfie for him.
I think this is a wonderful idea! I hope that you can go far in this business not only for yourself but for all of these kids who feel uncomfortable wearing clothing. I hope this helps to bring sanity back to household who have this challenge daily! Good luck!
My son is 9, (ADHD & ODD) and our struggles everyday are underware and socks. He likes most of them until they are washed because they lose some of the elasticity and the seams may not stay at the top of his toes where he wants them. Underware he loves are his sliders from baseball because they are sleek material that stays snug while still breathes. Id love to find him underware and socks that are made out of something like the underarmour material that has minimal seams...
Have you tried an occupational therapy catalogue Texmomma?  They do make both underwear and socks for sensory kids.  My son is very picky about seams----  we are going through a sock issue right now.  We had a type he liked made by champion which was easy to get but they aren't making them now.  so we are on the hunt for socks.  I did see online that there are makers for seamless socks.  Amazon has them and there is Smartknit kids.  

my son will wear the Fruit of the Loom briefs that have no tags.  Sensory Smarts (web site) has seamless underwear!  I'm not sure if you can find the silky material/thick material like underarmour but you can look to see what they have.  My son has worn the tight compression shirts as an undershirt before by that brand.  

It's a challenge.  we always to through a tough patch as it switches to cooler weather.  My son's shirt sleeves have to hit in just the right place or he won't wear the shirt.  And shirts that were fine at one point can become NOT fine over night.  sigh.  

good luck and by the way, there is a sensory integration disorder forum here and I'd love someone else to chat with about it besides just talking to myself on the forum.  :>)  Join if you'd like!
Ha, texmama, 25 minutes trying to find the right socks this morning made us running to catch the bus!  I feel your pain!!