Child Behavior Community
Temper Tantrum at 11 months?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Temper Tantrum at 11 months?

My 11 month old has always been a bit of a "diva".  She had colic for four months (had to be put on two medications for acid reflux and started early on solids).  Between the ages of 5 months and 10 months, she was an ANGEL!  Now, this diva has come back.  When we take away something (i.e., a dangerous wire) or remove her from an area (i.e., the dog water bowel), she will fall on the ground and cry and scream.  We have never given into this behavior (my husband and I are both teachers and have vowed to never let our kids be bratty), we do positive reinforcement, distraction when needed. These last two weeks, she has decided screaming was her communication of choice.  We're not loud people (she's our first), where did she get this from? It is constant!  She's been fed, had a nap, given teething tablets, etc.  She'll look at us almost smiling and do it.  We've tried a stern "no".  It is just the most horrible blood curdling sound and it makes us feel like we're losing our minds.  She has stopped sleeping and eating as much.  She has her finger in her right ear (or her shoulder pushing her right ear) constantly the last two weeks, but hasn't run a fever and two weeks ago the doctor said it didn't look bad.  Am I missing something? Or do we have one of those "high needs" babies?
Thanks!

This discussion is related to My 11 month old won't stop screaming.
The finger in the ear and shoulder to the ear almost sound like ear infection.  You may want to get that looked at again for a second opinion.  If the screaming is something other than ear infection what you need to do is scream back only a lot louder than she does.  It works, believe me.  I have screamed so loud, my children still talk about it how it hurt their ears.  It only had to happen once.  She is looking to you to parent and set limits and probably is getting frustrated that the limits are not being set.  Children want and need their parents to set limits in a firm fashion not just redirection (which works sometimes).  Always be one step ahead of them, always. If she throws a temper tantrum say "Is that it?  Is that all the better you can do?"  Usually, you get this odd funny silent look back.  The wheels are turning.      
Ha, ha. Thanks, I never thought about that. I'll bet it does work. Does she have to be running a fever to have an ear infection?