Child Behavior Community
Too much chatter
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Too much chatter

How do I get my 4 year old to stop talking so much.  It is absolutely constant.  If she is not talking she is singing, humming, squealing or whistling.  The pitch that she uses is so high and piercing that it actually hurts my ears.  When she does this, my dog starts to howl shich only makes her continue.  I have tried bribes, threats, positive reinforcement, you name it - she will NOT stop making noise.  She is very bright but has absolutely no attention span what so ever.  She is very cordinated and is very good at sports.  How can I stop the noise?

This discussion is related to 4-year old excessive talking and strong willed.
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
13167_tn?1327197724
My 4 year old did that,  and when I asked him pointedly why he always is making noise he said my brain tries to go to sleep if I don't.   How astute.  He's sitting next to me now on his own computer,  tunelessly whistling,  but it's soft.  

I'm sure she feels the same way.  She's making audio noise so her brain is alert and functioning.  Maybe you could get earplugs,  or teach her to humm in a sweet way by humming with her?

Blank
Thank you for the suggestion of teaching her to humm in a sweet way.  I will try that tomorrow!
Blank
My son talks constantly, too-- if he is by himself he's talking to imaginary friends, with others its constant. Almost-...

He does stop talking if he is watching a movie and playing a video game at the same time-- with headphones on-- so that the noise in his ears is completely intense. Without this intensity, he feels the same way that Rock Rose's son does -- it just makes no sense to him to not have that noise going around.

My husband is the same way -- gotta be noise all the time-- he never outgrew it!  

I think trying to teach him to talk/ make noise in a non disruptive way is a good idea-- accepting that his brain works that way, but trying to work with it instead of against it - makes sense.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Child Behavior Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...