Child Behavior Community
benign throat clearing tic

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

benign throat clearing tic

My daughter is 31/2 years old.  About a month ago, she developed what her pediatrician calls a benign tic.  He checked her out and decided it wasn't an allergy or a breathing problem.  Sometimes it sounds like she's clearing her throat loudly, other times it sounds like a loud hiccup - which is what lead me to believe she might be having a breathing problem.  I do believe she does this involuntarily because she is not interrupted when she is talking and when she sleeps at night, she is silent the entire night - I know this because I slept in the same room with her for two weeks.  Also, she didn't make the sound when the pediatrician was checking her, which he said convinced him more that it was a tic.  Her pediatrician says it could last a few weeks to 6 months.  He also said that it could be form of terets syndrome but that can't be diagnosed until she's at least six.  I'm starting to get use to the sound she makes, but it definitely attracts attention when we are in public, which reminds me how "unusual" the sound she makes is.

I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.  Should I have her looked at by a pediatric neurologist?  Or should I just let it run it's course, although I'm getting quite tired of strangers and friends "suggestions" as to what it is and what I should do.

Please advise!
Thanks.....

This discussion is related to neurological ticks.
You are right- you can get too much input. I am here to talk if you'd just like a sounding board. Drop me a short note.
My son had something very similar from age 4-6- his was allergies though- he said it was to clear/scratch his throat and ear. I thought it was behavioral but he did get allergy treatment. It started again seemed to me a nervous thing around age 12 again. He was tested for allergies and found he was no longer allergic to anything. Great news. But why the noises? I did finally tell him it was sort of annoying once or twice and he did stop doing it.

So you have done everything you can do. When I thought it was nervous habit I think I did try him on an herbal supplement like st johns wort or some adhd herbal chewable. That's worth a try and easy to do a search for just to try for a few weeks- it can't hurt anything.
Thanks for your comments.  They do make me feel a little bit better.  It's just so difficult to know if you are doing all the right things.  Just yesterday in the store, it seemed like my daughters "noises" had increased dramatically in both loudness and duration.  I was driving home wondering if I"m missing something.  I think I will try the herbal supplement.  I can get her to try a chewable if it tastes good.  Thanks for the advice.
My daughter, 6 yrs old, has just begun this throat clearing tic.  I have read articles about it being caused from stress.  She had a line in the school Christmas play, and it did begin about 3-4 days before the program.  A week later was the church kids program.  She told me she was nervous both times, but did a great job once on stage.  I know these things are stressful for the elementary kids.  I am hoping that it is a benign tic, and that's all!!  During the second program, the microphone picked up her constant throat clearing.  I was hoping no one
else noticed!  It has become very annoying.  I'm hoping that with Christmas break coming in just 5 days, she will relax and simply break free!!
Thank you for your post, I know I'm not alone!!
My doctor also asked me if my daughter was "stressed".  I guess when they're 3 years old you can't think of anything they could possibly be stressed about - isn't that suppose to be the stress free years of their life?  Anyways, my daughters throat clearing has improved dramatically.  We have days where it's more obvious than others, but so far not as bad as it was at the end of the summer.  I'm hoping she's outgrowing it or become "less stressed".  But I think you are right - especially at six years of age - your daughter might just be nervous about the play.  Hopefully after Christmas she will stop it.  
I can totally relate to the throat clearing.  When my daughter does it in public - everyone turns their head!  I've learned to act like I don't even hear it and usually people turn back and forget about it.  Sometimes if you don't react, they dont react.  
Let me know if your daughter improves after the holidays............  
My daughter who is 8 years old also has the habit of clearing out her throat, she has had it for over two years now. I can't pinpoint the time frame it was starting to happen, however she doesn't do it when she is running around outside or being really active and doesn't do it when she sleeps.

I have taken several measures of trying to get this resolved by taken her to our family doctor which put her on flonase, didn't help. After trying almost every allergy medication over the counter I went to have her tested for allergies, which she had some, however they were not in season at the time, I than was referred to an ear nose and throat doctor which did an xray of the throat which there was nothing in the back of the throat to cause her to do this, he than mentioned that it seemed to be a tic.

I really don't know what would be the next step. If it is caused from stress do I want to put her on something to calm her down? It is very annoying I guess to my husband and myself the most. I am also concerned how the others view her at school.

Your not alone in this and it is not easy-if you find out anything more please let me know.

This is an old thread you may not get much response
My daughter has this too.  She is now almost 11 and it has been going on since she was 3.  I was told by her pediatrician way back when that it was a nervous tick and that it would go away.  It didn't.  It bothers me the most, though I do know fellow students occasionally comment on it.  Her current pediatrician unhelpfully said it's a non-productive cough and prescribed prescription medication.  (She did not believe it was allergy related).  My holistic doctor did a food sensitivity test on her and identified foods that are more apt to aggravate it (red meat, corn, dairy) so we limit these.  (She does seem to do it more when she has these foods).  It may be related to what many other message boards call LPR.  My daughter also tried some allergy treatments with our doctor of Chinese Medicine.   It helped, but did not get rid of the problem.  

I am still searching, trying different things.  It is quite frustrating.  Please let me know if you come up with anything that works.
My daughter has a CONSTANT THROAT CLEARING as well. You do not have to worry about input...I have none. I am so frustrated with all of the advice, suggestions, wrong diagnosis. I am a teacher and constantly researching because of it. I cannot figure this out....she is 6. Tic has been mentioned, yet I am not convinced. The last vist to the ENT was $135 to tell me to try VERAMYST on her...we are in the first month of it and I think she is worse. Seriously....what is the answer here? I may just start from scratch....they guinea pigged her on so many allergy meds that I do not want to go there again. I may ellimiate everything and start with foods etc. Any advice/help is appreciated!!
my daughter is almost 6 and she started the constant throat clearing about 4 months ago.  I can pinpoint when it started, to the DAY.  She had ice cream, and then all of the sudden, started this grunting clearing of the throat after every bite.  now, she does it a LOT.  I am wondering - could enlarged tonsils have anything to do w/ this?  since I'm hearing it's not allergies.  also, she did this a lot when she was getting strep throat, so I'm keeping a close eye on her when the symptoms get worse that it's not strep.  We are going through a divorce and this has put stress on her, and I feel so badly for her, and am wondering if the effects have caused her to develop this tic.  I'm afraid, when she starts school next tues that it will be really noticable at school and may disturb the other kids! ack!  what do I do?  

worried,
C.
I am glad that I have found this website. My 9 year old is constantly clearing her throat and she has been doing this for years. Dr.'s have said that it is allergies and we have gone that route, but she still clears her throat. It drives me nuts and I don't know who else to see to help her. Her teachers have even commented on it. I know my husbands family has Terrets. But, who do you see to diagnose it. Any advice?

Worried Mom
My 9 year old just started doing this too about 2 months ago and now it is sometimes very severe.  Every 5-10 seconds sometimes but then not at all when she is sleeping and it seems worse in the evenings than in the days.  Doctor said it could be a thyroglossal cyst (sp?)  Anyway we have to get that test I suppose but it sounds like it could be this kind of tic as well.  She also seems to swallow air and then burp very quietly after she does it.
My 6 year old son began grunting and clearing his throat recently, as well.  He doesn't have any symptoms of allergies and had his tonsils and adenoids (adenoids) removed two years ago.  When we point it out to him and ask him why he does it or to stop, he get emotional and says he can't.  He has no explanation for why he does it, just that he can't stop doing it.  Any ideas, help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I absolutely HATE going to the doctor to get no answers, but after a month of listening to this, assuming it was just drainage that was tickling his throat, but nothing improving, we are ready to start looking into the situation a little deeper.
My daughter is 4 1/2 and has been clearing her throat since the age of 2. I have done a lot of research and everything i find says it could be allergies or a tic but is extremely hard to diagnose until the age of 6. When i ask my daughter why she clears her throat she says shes not so i assume she has no clue shes even doing it. She says her throat doesn't itch. My husband and I are both use to the noise so we don't notice it as much as other people around her. I am lost at what i should do..Any suggestions?
My daughter has been doing this since she was 6-7 months old and she will soon be 11 yrs old. I've done everything under the sun. She had tubes put in her ears due to chronic ear infection. She hasn't stop doing the throat clearing since she was an infant. Allergy medicine doesn't work - the ear, nose and throat dr states she does it now as a hadit. She has a hard time making friends b/c it annoys everyone so bad. I didn't know this could be a possible affect from tic's I just heard this from her teacher b/c she did her own research b/c it bother the classroom so bad. I don't know what to do----
I myself also have a 7 year old who started clearing his throat grunting this summer, it lasted about 2-3 weeks and then stopped when school started. The last few days he has started doing it again NON STOP!! I feel so bad because he says he can't stop it or help it, but I get a headache from it everyday! I feel like crying my eyes out because I'm so frustrated. He saw a dr this summer who stated that it was a tic and that they come and go. But now it's the grunt and cough and clearing of his throat. We are seeing a ENT next Tuesday. I'm so frustrated, and just wish it would stop! I worry about kids teasing him at school.
My son started clearing his throat at the age of 9 or 10, he's now 13. It got progressively worse and he started shaking his head also. I did a lot of my own reading up and it seemed like everything I was reading was pointing toward it being a tic. I came accross this natural remedy called Tic Tamer by Native Remedies.(see their website) I am usually very skeptical about that sort of thing but was feeling quite desperate, so I ordered a bottle. There was a marked improvement by the 2nd or 3rd day and within a week or two it was almost non existant. He started taking the drops the maximum amount of times during the day then slowly tapered off as was necessary. Now a few months down the line, he might take some once a week.

Hope that helps some of you desperate parents out there.
I haven't posted on this forum in years, but just came across this forum when doing a search on throat-clearing tics.  Just wanted to say that if your child does have a throat-clearing tic (and it's not throat clearing related to allergies or some other cause), from what I've read, the chances are they will outgrow it, but that is not always the case.  I first started clearing my throat when I was 4 years old, along with scrunching up my nose and sniffing.  I started these behavors, according to my mother, after I had an infection.  She took me to the pediatrician and he said I was just a nervous child and would probably outgrow it.  I'm now 48 and still have the same tics.  I also have OCD.  The tics fluctuate in severity (some days more prominent than others), but its an everyday thing for me and has never gone away.  I now know I have tourettic OCD, and I believe it was triggered off by the infection I had when I was little.  Again, chances are your kids will outgrow it, but you might want to read on tourettic OCD, especially if they have other tics, compulsive behaviors, obsessive thinking.  You might also want to read on PANDAS-pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders after strep (or something like that).  If your kids have counting, checking, handwashing, ritualistic behaviors, or especially if they have other tics or evening-up behaviors (if something bumps/rubs against one hand/arm or body part, they can't stand the unevenness sensation and have to even it out on the other side; or they can't stand scratchy clothes, tags, (sensory hypersensitivity), it's possible they have tourettic OCD.  
My son who has recently turned 5 has for the last few months starting clearing his throat and blinking vigourously, certainly the latter seems to happen when he is tired......

When I ask him what is wrong with his throat he just looks at me & says nothing as if he is totally unaware of what is going on.

He started Reception (UK full time eductation when he will still 4 years old) in September and has homework every night and often get's upset if he gets somehting wrong or out of place - I tell him that he is doing great, brilliant in fact and he won't get everythign right first time while he is learning so much.......nevertheless he is putting himself under a great deal of pressure.

I'm going to see his Doctor tomorrow - all the evidence points to a tic (or multiple) and I want to nip this in the bud before it impacts his day to day life!

Wish me luck....any more advice welcome.

Worried Mom.....
I would love to see any updates on these children.
My 9 year son started doing this about a month ago and it is very frustrating and annoying.  He says he can't help it.  Some days are worse than others.  Obviously today is pretty bad since I went googling for answers.  I've tried ignoring him but when he does it every 5-10 seconds its hard not to say anything.  He not only ears his throat but he makes other noises to and takes deep breaths just put of no where.  I will be call his Dr. first thing Monday morning and really hope I get somewhere.  
Please update...I'm so worried after reading these posts.  My 5 yr old son has been has been clearing his throat constantly for months.  I hate hearing that this won't end.  Updates from anybody?
My seven year old grandson has had this clearing of throat for a couple of years now. After reading these posts, I noticed the common thread seems to be infection.  He is sesceptible to strep throat and has had several episodes in the past 2 years.  He also has blinking issues when he is stressed. He was recently diagnosed with Asbergers.  
I am quit heavy hearted to hear that this chronic throat clearing can possibly have no cure because my son who is 3 1/2 has started this about a month ago. His doctor told me that it would go away but like many others it does not seem to be getting any better but worse. Sometimes the throat clearing is followed by a very bad dry cough as well. This is very frustrating and annoying.
My son is 6 and just started school. His throat clearing started when he was about 4 and it is now almost constant. I think he is unhappy at school and doesn't seem to be very popular and I notice how much he clears his throat through this situation. He was much better in the school holidays for example. I was interested to hear about many girls having this problem because two doctors had told me that tics mainly occur with boys at primary school age. Can anyone give me some advice? I worry about him being teased at school because of his throat clearing!

A very worried Mum x
My 7 year old son is now sat here constantly clearing his throat, I am going mad, heard about your tic tamer, try as I might I cannot get hold of it, I will try anything, he has also pulled out all his eyelashes and eyebrows, went on the website you  recommended but due to to high demand dispatch is between 1 and 4 weeks, a supplier in the uk say they have 66 in stock but when you add to basket they have none, feel like i'm hitting a brick wall, will try anything to get hold of it, even ebay doesn't have it. But glad to hear i'm not the only parent going through this.
My heart is breaking as I read these posts of all your little ones suffering. There is just nothing about this that is fair! I do have some answers for all of you mothers and fathers out there because I am actually a 31 year old mom who suffers from this disorder. It all started when I was about 5 years old. I would get scared to sleep at night by myself and began clearing my throat throughout the night. This compulsion would prevent me from sleeping. It lessened as I reached adolescence.  It was still present it just didn't interfere much with my social functioning and neither myself nor others noticed it much. I had always had (ocd) obsessive compulsive disorder growing up but once I had my little girl at age 25 the OCD became very severe. During this time my throat clearing and coughing came back. It got gradually worse over the course of three years until it was greatly affecting my sleep at night.  I sleep on the couch now because I keep my husband awake from my noises. After awhile the coughing and clearing started occuring during the daytime more and more often. At this time right now in my life I would say I clear my throat about five hours a day which is incredibly exhausting. I also was recently diagnosed with ADD and Tourettic OCD. I have been told by my psychiatrist that a large portion of people with tourettes and ticks also have accompanying OCD and ADD. This is something that you need to watch for in your children because these co/occuring conditions can complicate and aggrivate one another. I think that the numbers were as high as 50% of Tourettes patients had either OCD/ADD . Smaller percentage with both. I think I am in the minority because my symptoms seemed to have worsened in adulthood. Most children who suffer from ticks and Tourettes gradually improve as they get older. The medication treatment for Tourettes and ticks like clearing of the throat and coughing usually include antipsychotic medications as well as antidepressants (ssri's) which affect the serotonin chemicals in the brain. Neither of these treatments have done much for my symptoms but that is not to say that everyone will have that same experience as I. I think that these medications do help many people. I have heard magnesium supplements help the symptoms as well. I have done some research on the natural remedy "Tick Tamer" and have heard some mixed results. This is a supplement that you can buy from Amazon and a few other places. It seems to help in 50% of those who tried it but a few admit that it might just be placebo. One woman said that "Tic Tamer" in addition to L-Theanine (amino-acid formula OTC), and magnesium (200mg 2x/ day) helped to completely remove her childs bad case of symptoms. I am going to try vitamins and supplements to see if that might decrease my symptoms because unfortunately medications have not done much to help. I am hopeful. Can I also add that Cognitive Behavioral Therapies and Habit Reveral Techiques are being used in conjunction with drug therapy and are really benificial to a lot of patients. I think that in many cases these types of therapies are more beneficial than drugs. I admire all of you parents who are out on the web searching desperately for answers for your suffering children. It really is such a dibilitating illness words cannot describe! email me if you have questions as I will be trying various methods in an attempt to relieve my symptoms and may have more answers in the future.
***@****

(By the way this website has some parents who are sharing their success stories and what is working for their children)  

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=687&st=120&p=55099&#entry55099
I would just like to say 3 days ago I was in the self same situation with my daughter. Having had her to the nurse and them tell me she had a habbit/tic I was v. upset for her as the grunting had become so regular it was every second almost......GOOD NEWS after reading internet posts all night I read she may have heartburn/indigestion! I laughed to myself, it couldn't be so simple. BUT the reason behind is great acid from the stomache is returning back up the throat the throat says the acid shouldn't be there and protects itself from the acid by putting a slime or glue like coating at the back of the throat just like my daughter describes......The answer was a rennie well I was willing to try anything so gave her one......AFTER 2minutes the grunting was gone and I couldn't believe that was all it took after she had suffered so much... I know you posted some time ago so maybe your child is much better I do hope so.
You may want to see if the home you're in has high levels of mold. One of the main symptoms of mold exposure is chronic clearing of throat. My three year old has had this issue for the last month. When we left the house for 2 weeks during Christmas it cleared up and as soon as we came back home it started again. We are currently getting our home tested for mold.

Just an idea.
Also depending on the age of the child they can form a habit of clearing and making noises in their throat especaily if it gets plenty of attention, like a little game ..and very often if it is ignored and not exclaimed over it simply goes away ..
I have googled rennie well and find nothing about it.  Would you tell me more about it and where I can get it?  My Down syndrome daughter clears her throat constantly during mealtime and can't explain why.  Thanks!
Hey there I was in a chat room it was a lady from America who gave me this knowledge I guess you know the method behind it from reading my post, A rennie is just a branded heartburn/indigestion tablet I had some in the house already so tried out this method straight away... AM not saying this will be the answer but it worked for my daughter and if it could just help 1 more then am glad I posted.Your willing to try anything at this point am sure we love our children and know when they are "attention seeking" I did also try different non branded tablets but although they did help they weren't as great as a rennie. I can pick these up in any local shop chemist supermarket... I do hope you find this some help let me know how you get on
heartburn maybe?
It does sound like reflux hence the Rennies working they are like Tums we have in the US ..
My son has the same thing..  He has had it since he was little.  Finally, as an eight year old, it was diagnosed as a tic by school, pediatrician, and neurologist. Medication has been started because it is affecting him in school and socially.  They won't treat unless you let them know that it is actually affecting the child's life.  
Well, I'm glad you found some resolution to your son's issue and the tic is now under control.  It is painful to see things that cause social issues for our children and that is awesome that you've been able to follow through and get the help he needed to overcome this.  May he have nothing else but success in school from here on out.  good luck to you both
My 5 year old daughter started to constantly clear her throat and it lasted for over a month. During this time we tried to see Doctor's about the problem, tested for allergies (she had none), took antibiotics, took Mucinex for children, tried nose rises, hot teas, taking drinks of liquid instead of clearing throat, etc... none of which worked to stop it. It got to be Very annoying and socially an issue. After an ENT said he saw nothing in her throat, I started noticing when she was clearing her throat (it use to happen all the time every 10 sec), but now it seemed to happen after she ate or drank something. She never did it while she slept or sang. I took her to the Chiropractor (who deals in Homeopathic remedies) and he adjusted her and did a sinus technique, it helped a little bit. Next I talked with her about trying to cough instead of clearing her throat, this helped her become more aware of what she was doing. Then I told her a week later that if she could stop clearing her throat or coughing for a few days we would do something special that she wanted (go to Build A Bear). This all seemed to do the trick. I am sure her clearing of the throat originally started due to some mucus, but then eventually turned into a bit of a habit. She was able to stop. Now when she gets sick again, it seems to want to start all over again, but I have to stay constant with her about watching the clearing of the throat too often so it doesn't become a habit again. I am still worried it could come back and not go away, coping as a Mom with this thought is the worst.
My 11 year old son has been having problems with throat clearing and making noises in his throat when eating.  His began last fall after a throat infection.  He had repeated tonsillitis over the next few months and the throat noises were constant.  We had his tonsils out in December and the throat clearing and noises stopped instantly.  

He then got sick and had a sore throat at the end of Feb and within a couple weeks started clearing his throat again and making noises when he eats (almost like a growling sound).  This is not something he can control and I'm sure it is a tic behavior, but we have not been able to completely figure it out.  He is on antibiotics because we did find Strep in his gut and he also started having joint pains and eye inflammation after getting sick.  My younger son has a disorder called PANDAS and it is caused by strep antibodies attacking his brain and causes neurological problems.  My 7 year old son has been diagnosed by neurologists and pediatricians with everything from ADHD, severe Anxiety, Epilepsy, OCD, Tourrettes and ODD.  His symptoms and diagnosis' kept changing and I was told to treat him with medications and accept it....I didn't.  We waited 4 months and met with a specialist in January and after treating him with antibiotics and steroids my sons tics are gone.  His OCS and ADHD are gone, his anxiety is reduced, his bedwetting has stopped, his behaviors and emotions are better.  Infections can cause neurological problems and tics, but it is really hard to find a Dr. who believes this and knows how to treat it.  My son had multiple tics (eye blinking, sniffing, throat clearing, tongue clicking and licking) and OCD habits like chewing.  These are all completely gone and he has had no seizures since doing the steroid treatment.  
TRY ALMOND MILK EVERY DAY!! The magnesium in this milk can make all the difference:)  It solved our problem COMPLETELY after 1 year and a half of going through the throat clearing with our daughter.  I would love to hear updates if this works for others!
Hi, please could you tell me which antibiotic and steriod your child was prescribed. I would love to think there is some medication that could help. thanks in advance.
curious about your son, what happened?  My son is 5 1/2 and that exact thing is going on.  He too gets upset when we ask him about it.

Any answers would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Worried mom
Heads-up on OCD:  a 'disorder' (per the DSM) is not a "condition", just a label for a group of symptoms.  So don't get concerned if your throat-clearing is labeled OCD.  The psych folks aren't saying that you have some underlying condition which causes throat-clearing, they're just saying "yes, you clear your throat a lot ... the fancy term for that is an obsessive compulsion."  They can't legally charge you for their time unless they give you a diagnosis, so if you go to see a psychologist or psychiatrist, they *must* describe your identified symptoms "e.g. I clear my throat all the time" using a standard term, in this case OCD.
Hi everyone. My son is 41/2 and I'm noticing that when he's relaxed he's starting to make a slight grunting like noise everytime he breathes out and it has me worried. He says he can't help it when I ask him why he's doing it. He also is showing signs of OCD (like his shoe laces and clothes need to be tied and fitted a certain way). Any feedback would be appreciated!!
That is great.  Just wondering if all is good, why wouldn't you give the doctor's name or some place for other parents to go to...
My 7 year old started this throat clearing thing, I have asked him repeatedly if his throat hurt or was bothering him and he always says no. My dad noticed it tonight and told me I should have it checked, someone he knows had the same thing and it wound up being esophageal cancer..Now i am freaking out! alot of what I read sounds like it could possibly be it..stress, habit, tic, allergy, sinus..I plan on making a doctor appointment tomorrow but I don't think I can sleep tonight :(
Oh no no.  I sincerely doubt that your 7 year old has esphogeal cancer.  

Much more likely to be either his trying to regulate his nervous system or he has developed the tic due to stress.  And yes, sure.  it could be legitimate throat clearing due to allergies.

My son does a sound similar now and it is sensory/anxiety related.  We are begining to address this.  

but try not to worry about things like cancers that are very rare in children!  good luck
By the way, when esophageal cancer is a concern with a child, it is often due to acid reflux problems that were not treated.  Has your child had chronic complaints about reflux issues?  

Try not to worry.  You can have that checked out to rule it out but doubt this is the reason.  good luck
my 4 yr old just started about two weeks ago with tics, he will raise his arms then put them down then continue to clear his throat. he will do this multiple times. his preschool teachers noticed too and  thought it may be nervous tick.  my son is a special needs child. my son is a year behind, he has speech/motor skill delays. we plan on making dr. apt. to find out what is going on with our son.   i do hope it passes.
Same issue I am another mom with no answers:( my 5 year old daughter has the constant throat clearing. I have noticed and now her teachers as well she will do repotition humming noises , usually when she is relaxed. We have ruled out allergies. I have no answers:(
I see no one has posted on this since March. I would like any feed back from any of you moms , dads, guardian's ? I have A.D.D. Now as an adult , I have had ADHD all through my child and teen years. My daughter's biological dad has mild /moderate OCD. All seems to factor in any neurological disorder  that we may be seeing here with my daughter. Doctor after Doctor, now the child psychologists .( It's so frustrating to have to see my exceptionally bright, daughter  IQ ranges testing genius levels for her age group. ) going through these tics so far just limited to the throat clearing and now the recent hum... Hmmm... Hmmm. Then back to throat clearing. I'm looking for feed back:( I'm one sad , Stay at home mommy:)
Im going through the same thing right now and Im hoping to find answers soon. My 5 year old son is constantly clearing his throat really loud for about 5-6 months now. he says he can't help it and would get really upset has he couldnt control it. People are always wondering what that annoying sound is and some people even laugh. Dr says it was probably a tic. I took him to nose and throat Dr and everything was fine. I need to get him tested for allergies andtake him to the therapist. I feel everyones frustration as not knowing the answer as us parents just want a solution to the problem and so we are at peace that it's nothing major.
My son is 5yrs old and is constantly throat clearing...at some points it was accompanied by a jerk forward before clearing.  Now its clearing and its sometimes every second.  Driving me and his teacher crazy.  He also has some anxiety, sensory issues, OCD like issues....but the Dr said its likely transient tic disorder (he had a repetitive blinking when he was 2yrs).  He was on Miralax for Constipation both times so I thought maybe it was related to that.  But after being off of Miralax several weeks, the issue persists.  He has an enlarged tonsil but his Pediatrician and Quick Care Dr. aren't concerned and says tics can last up to 4mos.  I am giving allergy meds in case there is drainage in the back of his throat...Think I'll try the "tic tamer" off of Amazon.  Thanks for the advice!
Hi ,I have enjoyed reading all of this information same here a mother worried I have  a 5yr old son whose constant clearing his throat and grunting sounds he have had his tonsils and annoids removed he has a speech motor skills delay and with school starting next week I'm baffled to where this came from over the summer but I have schedule apt at Plano childrens medical center with the ENT doctor to see if Xray can done to make sure there's nothing going with his breathing. I will report back in the meantime monitor your kids closely good luck to all
Yes, please do let us know what is happening.  Thankyou for sharing!