Child Behavior Community
masturbating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

masturbating

my four year old daughter is masturbating...all the time everywhere...what should i do?
Tell her that is a private activity and she can only do it in her bedroom when she is alone.  She'll probably not find it rewarding enough to spend hours alone doing it, she'd doubtless rather be with the family at 4.  It will probably blow over.  Just be sure she knows about the concept of private versus public.
That's good advice. Tell her you're glad she found out that it feels good to touch herself down there, but that she should only do this when in private when she is by herself like in her bedroom or in the bathroom. Hopefully that will help. Sometimes kids masturbate a lot when they are bored or have nothing to do. Try to keep her busy during the day, and always occupied with an activity. This should minimize masturbation to only naptime or bedtime so that she won't be constantly doing this.

My daughter started masturbating when she was two in her car seat. Eventually she started doing it whenever she was sitting in it. She also started finding other ways to masturbate around the house. But I noticed if I gave her something else to do, she would stop. So it must be a boredom issue, at least it was with my daughter. BUT, I can't seem to find enough interesting things for her to do in the car, because she still does this rubbing thing with her hands whenever she is in the car. And while I've spoken to her about it, she doesn't listen. Last week we went on a car trip for six hours. She was masturbating the whole time, only stopping after she would get all hot and sweaty, and breathing heavier. Then she'd stop but only for maybe half an hour before starting all over again. And then it was uncomfortable to notice her doing the same thing the whole six hours back at the end of the week. We'd give her dolls, and books to try to get her to hold on to other things, but that didn't work. When she's in the car seat, she likes to masturbate.

But other than that, everything else is under control. I'm just concerned when I noticed that she masturbated the entire road trip whenever she was in the car, made me wonder if that is too much, and how come she couldn't tire of that after a while?
Our daughter is 5 and has been masterbating (masturbating) since she was 2.  Originally we thought it was a self soothing technique, I even took a course through my local chilhood mental health.... She also has a very strong personality, so if she starts, she can't stop.  I've sought help everywhere I can think of, but am at a loss.  We took her out of the carseat and put her in a booster seat early (because even a ten minute car ride, she'd emerge from the back of the van soaking wet).  It really affects our day to day life, dinners are missed, playdates interupted all because of this obsession.  I feel sad for her, and I worry for our future. Recently she has started pulling at her clothes at her crotch throughout the day.... I notice it when she's playing, walking, even during her figureskating lesson.... I wonder if she has a super sensitive clitoris, or perhaps an aching and she's trying to make it go away......  I don't punish her for this behavior, because I want her to know she can talk to me.. but I would really like it to stop.  My family doctor brushes it off and says that once she's been in kindergarten for a few months it'll stop, but I worry that the other kids will pick up on her behavior and tease her.
It is good for chirldren to masterbate it is not a problem for them to be (fingering) themsleves as well it is apsolutly ok and i am 14 and i wish i had parents like u guys who could sit and talk to me like that and to tell u guys out there the truth u guys r good parents and i wouldn't mind if i would be able to come and live with one of u guys because i really need some one who i can talk to and i am not lieing i really wish God could make a miracle happend to just have a parent like u guys i really wish i could i am so sorry if i had said that to much time(i really wish i could). And take care of your kids and dont be too hard on them if they are just masterbating (masturbating) because to tell u the truth i love to masterbate and i am doing from i was 5 years old seriously iat that time i was evenind doing it in basic school i would even take my clothes yeah that was me but know i just use my finger why i am in a private place and i do it mostly when i want to go to bed and even when i am board thanks for reading