Child Behavior Community
walking on tip-toes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

walking on tip-toes

I have seen my daughter walinkg on tip-toes, but not all the time.  Is this something I should be worried about?  She is 2 years old.  When does walking in tip-toes become a worry?  

This discussion is related to MY two year old is walking on his tip toes!.
As a boy I walked on my toes until I was 9. They told me I had cerebral palsy. My dad tried public humilation to break me of the habit. He would introduce me to people as his ballerina daughter. They even talked about surgery.  You know what? I grew out of it. I feel (unjustified probably) that one of the reasons I was a high school State sprinter and long jumper was because I am comfortable on my toes.

Among other other sports I was also a wrestler. One thing I noticed is that when I would get on my knees with hands flat on the floor (the start position for wrestling) my ankles laid flat on the floor. Have your kid get on his/her knees and see if they are more comfortable with the top of their foot laying flat on the ground or not. Basically, if they were wearing shoes would the laces be touching the floor or is there space there.

Consult a doctor. But please take it easy. Your kid could just be a dancer or "light on their toes". I've met people who can wiggle their ears or put their legs behind their head.
We are all built different. Your kid probably does not have a major neurological disorder or cerebral palsy. But I bet they can beat you in a foot race.
I hate to say it but I also was a tiptoer until the age of 14. I loved the personal attention that I got from my family, and the people who just asked me why I walked like that. I didn't stop until I was getting teased terribly at school. I think your child is fine. Give her a few months without making any comments about the way she walks and see if it changes. Long term (like me), I have poor ability to stretch.
My sons both walk on their toes. I think it started as babies, trying to reach for things.  Then it just grew as a habit, they are both prone to picking up habits (thumb sucking, making a certain noise, whatever) and have trouble dropping it, big time.  Getting my oldest to stop thumb sucking was HARD.  

Anyhow, my oldest is 13 and a big kid, almost 6 feet tall.  His toes are splayed outward, like they were broken, from all the toe walking. I'd love to hear from other toe-walkers on this part of things.  When you put my son's feet near a non-toe walker, you really notice the difference.  "Normal' toes all line up, pointing mostly straight ahead.  His splay outward, one on either foot almost BEND to the side!

It makes me think of foot-binding. If you do something like toe-walking long enough, it's going to alter your bones etc.  Your body is going to adjust.  It's sad. Short of casts I can't imagine how I could have gotten them to stop.  Now it's a daily drama with my 9 year old.  I have even put him in flip-flops or hiking boots..he tip toes in them!!

I have never had my kids tested, but I don't think they have CP.  The oldest is perfectly normal in every other way, very smart, very tall!  My youngest definintely has ADHD, super hyper, always moving, jumps around when he plays video games.  But that's just him, I don't think ADHD and toe walking go together.