Child Nutrition Expert Forum
5 year old refuses milk

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

5 year old refuses milk

About 4 months ago, my 5 year old suddenly refused to drink any milk.  He also is a very picky eater and doesn't like yogurt or cheese.  Basically, he is getting no calcium in his diet besides the 10% here and there that's in cereal and icecream.  We've tried everything:  lactaid (his brother is lactose intolerant), milkshakes, instant breakfast, calcium fortified orange juice and he refuses all of it. (My son had a hearing disability and it is harder for us to explain to him why he needs calcium.)  Last week we finally found a supplement he would take.  My questions are 1. Can supplements give him the calcium he needs and how much does he need a day? How much should I figure for his normal diet?  2.  How much vitamin D does he need? - the calcium supplement doesn't have vitamin D, and 3. How much time can a child spend with low calcium before it begins to have an ill effect.  Thanks for your answers!
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's height?
:  
45 inches
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
42 lbs
Would you please state the name of supplement, amount of calcium, and type of calcium in the supplement so I can answer your question. Thank you.
Thank you for answering my question.  The name of the supplement is Nature's Plus Calcium.  It says the type of calcium is Calcium as aminoate complex ("manufactured with the Biotron Process of amino acid chelation.")  There are 250 mg of calcium in the supplement and there's also 50 mg of magnesium also as aminoate complex.

I was wrong on the weight of my son - he weighs 47 lbs, not 42 lbs.

Thanks so much.
As long as this supplement is for children and the amount of daily Calcium is 100% then he is getting what he needs for the day. It is good there is Mg in it because Mg helps absorb Calcium into our body. He should take this supplement after a meal or snack, never on an empty stomach. Digesting of food helps with absorption of the Calcium. If he is active and in the sun or near a window (with the sun shining through) for 1/2 hour for 2-3 times a week, he will get enough vitamin D that he needs. You can try Soy products (soy milk, soy yogurt, soy ice cream, soy cheese) that are dairy-free and has Calcium and Vitamin D.