Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Feeling helpless

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Feeling helpless

My daughter just turned 8 and she has just hit a growth spurt or something but not in height. Almost all of her clothes that we bought a month ago do not fit her around the waist and chest area. She isn't a bad eater, I do admit she eats more than I'd like her to but it's not excessive. And she plays quite a bit but she just keeps gaining and gaining. I need some advice. We have a pretty strict diet because I'm diabetic and she has ADHD that I control with her diet. Please someone!
Tags: Weight problems in child
Is your child male or female?
:  
Female
What is your child's age?
:  
8
What is your child's height?
:  
58inches
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
90lbs
From the measurements you wrote, her weight is above the 95th percentile for her age. It is recommended to increase children's daily physical activities (play, dance, sports) to lose weight, and not lower calorie intake due to the need of calories for growth. Limit time in front of the TV or non-active-video games. There have been studies showing the longer the length of time a child sit in front of the TV, the greater the weight gain. The calorie intake for a growing 8 year old is approximately 2000 calories a day that are eaten as three meals and snacks between meals. Limit high sugar drinks/snacks, and try replacing with milk/yogurt or fruit/popcorn/low-fat cheese. Additional suggestions: cook only low fat meats (chicken, fish, loin of pork) or non-meat sources (soy products, nuts), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, low fat cheese & pasta), fat free or low fat dairy products (skim milk, 1% milk, low fat cheese, low fat yogurts, low fat soy milk/yogurt), use plant oils, non trans-fat margarines, and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Eat daily high fiber breads and cereals (oatmeal) and limit ‘junk’ foods. Hoped this helped you.
Did help a bit. Thank you! However, she doesn't eat badly. We have a very strict diet in our home. I make everything I can from scratch and it's very low fat and hardly any sugar because I am diabetic and she had bad reactions with her ADHD. She is really tall, she always has been. And she is pretty active. She pretty much plays all day. I did have a conversation with her grandmother though and unfortunately genetically she is unlucky with the puberty genes. Her grandmother went through puberty at 10 and I started going through it (having to wear deoderant and bras and such) quite early also.