Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Weight issue for 8 year old

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Weight issue for 8 year old

I have an 8 year old that continues to gain weight and is constantly hungry.  We have tried to monitor what he is eating without making him feel deprived.  He is active and on the move.  I have concerns because I am fearing he is going to have a life time of weight issues and had hoped he would begin to lose weight or stretch up.  He seems so much bigger than the kids his age.  I wonder about thyroid as a possibility?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's height?
:  
4 ' 4"
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
96 lbs
His weight is above the 95th percentile and his height is just above the 75th percentile for his age. It is recommend increasing children's physical activities (play, dance, sports) to lose weight, and not lower calorie intake due to the need of calories for growth. For his age he needs approximately 1800-2000 calories a day to grow. Limit time in front of the TV or non-active-video games. There have been studies showing the longer the length of time a child sit in front of the TV, the greater the weight gain. Limit high sugar drinks/snacks, and try replacing with low fat milk/yogurt, fruit, air popped popcorn, or low-fat cheese. Additional suggestions: cook only low fat meats (chicken, fish, loin of pork) or non-meat sources (soy products, nuts), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, low fat cheese & pasta), fat free or low fat dairy products (skim milk, 1% milk, low fat cheese, low fat yogurts, low fat soy milk/yogurt), use plant oils, non trans-fat margarines, and eat a lot of fruits, salads, and vegetables. Eat daily high fiber breads and cereals (oatmeal) and limit ‘junk’ foods. If you are concerned about his thyroid, then suggest have his Doctor do blood work of his thyroid hormones which would indicate if there were issues or not. Hoped that helped you.
I have the same questions about my nine year old, if you have any breakthrough let me know.