Child Nutrition Expert Forum
absorption problem?

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

absorption problem?

My 5 year old sons nails are cracking even his toenails that are in shoes most of the day.  His tooth just chipped while he was flossing.  He has been yelling that his mouth is on fire.  We did see the ENT and he looked and said it was irritated so we started him on zantac.  He has been refusing milk and cheese.  He loves Broccoli.  I wondered about thyroid but the nurse practitioner said it was good. Could  a milk allergy or absorption problem cause these symptoms?  He talked later than normal and had speech therapy for a year.  His speech is good now but misses still  a couple of letters.  thriving in school just seems to be tired and pale a lot of the time.  He is the first to fall asleep.  He does eat mostly what I give him.  He does eat a variety of foods.  He perplexes me.  We have 6 kids and I am an LPN.  
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's age?
:  
5
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
35 lbs
Have you tried to put a little chocolate syrup in the milk for him to try? Some children will drink milk with chocolate in it but will not accept it plain. Does he eat ice cream, yogurt, fortified orange juice, or puddings daily which are calcium sources to help his growing bones. Suggest having complete blood work to see if there any decrease of vitamins or minerals. In the meantime suggest a daily children chewable multi-vitamin.
He will drink milk but has recently stopped drinking as much and prefers to have no cheese or butter on things.  I did start him on flinstones with iron. but there isnt a lot of calcium.  I will try a supplement of calcium.  His hair has softened since the flinstones addition  it was brittle and difficult to comb.   I will take him for bloodwork.  Thanks so much  I know it is a lot of work to keep up with us crazy moms!!!     Paula