Child Nutrition Expert Forum
ketones

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

ketones

My daughter has high ketones in her urine after each visit with her father.  She is not a diabetic.   Are there any risks to her?  Why would she have ketones?
Would you please reply with your daughter's age, height and weight (kg or lbs) so I can answer your question. What type of test are you using to test the ketones in her urine? Thank you
My daughter is almost 11mo of age.  She is about 28 1/2 in in height and about 22lbs.  I have used the over the counter diabetic ketone strips.  Her breath usually smells like nail polish remover which was my indication that something wasn't right.
Thank you for the measurements. Your daughter seems to be in normal range for her height and weight for her age. Ketones usually occur if the body is breaking down fat to use for energy that occurs with uncontrolled diabetics and other diseases. I suggest you have your daughter checked by her MD because the body does not normally have high levels of ketones.
My concern is that it is after her visits with Dad.  I have tested her at random at home and she is always negative.  Why would she have the ketones if it is not normal...what would cause her body to do that?
Should she have any ketones?
It is natural to some ketones in the body but not high amounts. When we do not eat carbohydrates, the body will break down fat for energy which results in ketone increase. Ketones also increase with certain diseases. I recommend, as I stated before, have your daughter checked by her MD.
Mostly likely then it would be lack of calories that she is experiencing???   I have taken her to a pediatrician and she doesn't seem to be overly concerned but is having me test her regularly.  Her father states that she eats well when in his care, although I question this given the facts, if she truly does eat well for him and is still having high ketones in her urine, what other causes could there be?  A nurse mentioned failure to thrive to me but I really am not familiar with it or how to know if this is a possiblity with our daughter.  She went to her fathers for 5 consecutive weekends and during that time lost almost 4lbs but now that it is every other weekend she seems to only being loosing an ounce or two over the weekend visits.  I would like to know if I should be concerned....if her pediatrician is not should I be looking for a new pediatrician?
Failure to thrive is a child who does not gain weight and grow, as they should for their age. Your daughter is normal for her height and weight. If she is not going to her father's home as often and the weight loss is less, then she will be ok. When she is with you, just make sure she eats regularly. Maybe send her with some healthy snacks when she goes to the visits. Hope that helps.