Child Nutrition Expert Forum
need help

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

need help

My daughter is gaining weight so fast, her stomache is getting extremely big and has had to wear a bra due to her weight she has developed breast and she is always hungry. I need to know what I can do for her to eat healthier and loose some weight. She sneaks snacks behind my back as well. I find myself always feeding her when she asks cause I feel like a bad mother to say no to food when she is hungry but on the flipside I feel like a bad mother to watch her gain weight and develop unhealthy habits. HELP
Is your child male or female?
:  
Female
What is your child's age?
:  
6
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
70pds
From your measurements, her weight is above the 97th percentile for her age. She is overweight for her age. For her age she needs approximately 1200 calories a day to grow. It is recommend increasing children's physical activities (play, dance, sports) to lose weight, and not lower calorie intake due to the need of calories for growth. Limit time in front of the TV or non-active-video games. There have been studies showing the longer the length of time a child sit in front of the TV, the greater the weight gain. Limit high sugar drinks/snacks, and try replacing with low fat milk/yogurt, fruit, air popped popcorn, or low-fat cheese. Additional suggestions: cook only low fat meats (chicken, fish, loin of pork) or non-meat sources (soy products, nuts), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, low fat cheese & pasta), fat free or low fat dairy products (skim milk, 1% milk, low fat cheese, low fat yogurts, low fat soy milk/yogurt), use plant oils, non trans-fat margarines, and eat a lot of fruits, salads, and vegetables. Eat daily high fiber breads and cereals (oatmeal) and limit ‘junk’ foods. Hoped that helped you.

Yes, I totally agree with Renee, what she told you above has been also advised for one of my neighbor's child. Some time It may because of  parents weight also. If your weight is normal then you need to fix strict diet for her and may be consulting doctor will also help as fatness is also one kind of disease.