Child Nutrition Expert Forum
picky eater with food allergies

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

picky eater with food allergies
My son has milk, banana, prune and peach allergies but always ate good with all the other foods he can have. Loved chicken, turkey, pork, hamburger, pasta even the fake macaroni and cheese. He still loves pears, apples (canned, fresh or mashed) Loves peas, carrots but out of the blue is refusing potatoes (reg or fries), will eat chicken nuggets but not deli meat chicken or turkey. Also refusing hamburger. Sometimes will eat pasta or hamburger but then after 2-3 pieces spits it our and throws a fit. He also does this sometimes with fries too. Question is what can I feed him. It seems so hard as it is to find things that don't contain milk proteins and SO many "toddler" foods or snacks have banana or peach. HELP!!! I am going crazy to come up with a menu for him that he'll like. I thought maybe it's because he's cutting molars now that he's just fussy but I don't want him to just go without food either. Any advice?
Would you please state your son’s age. Is he allergic to milk protein or is he lactose intolerant? Sorry for the questions, however, I need some clarity to answer your question properly. Thank you.
He's 15 mos. and he is allergic to milk protein. He was on soy formula to start now that he eats solids (well sometimes :)  he is on the soy next step. We have tried dairy again to see if he'd outgrown it but still got hives etc. I myself couldn't do dairy until I was closer to 3 my mom told me and till this day I can't tolerate lactose. We haven't tried those particular fruits I mentioned since he was about 8 mos old but at that time he got pirckly rash all over belly and back. Like I said he is just really resistant all of a sudden to meats accept chicken fingers. Sometime he will eat something for a few bites like french fries or other things he usually likes and then after a few bites he throws a fit and doesn't want it anymore.
His weight and height is between 25th-10th percentiles for his age. He is coming to an age that some children do start to become 'Picky' eaters and it is even more difficult for you because he is allergic to certain foods.
Suggest food items to make: Make ‘milkshakes’ with the soy formula and soy ice cream for additional calories and protein. Cheeses made of potato and soy to use as substitutes to make grilled ‘cheese’ sandwiches. Soy yogurt is great to make smoothies with frozen fruit (fruit he is allowed), soy yogurt, and soy milk or his soy formula.
The most important thing is to RELAX. You do not want mealtimes to be a battle of the wits between your child and you. Slowly introduce new foods, and if he does not want it, do not make a fuss over it. Let it go and enjoy the meal. Try again in a few weeks. Hoped this helped you.
Thanks SO much those are fantastic ideas!!! It's very easy to get panicky as a new mom :)