Chlamydia Community
How reliable are STD test results??

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

How reliable are STD test results??

I'm in a 4.5 year relationship with my bf. Right before we got together I was tested for STDs (March 05). This test came out negative. After taking this test I didn't sleep with nobody else other than him. However in March of 09 I started noticing some alarming vaginal symptoms: strong bad odor and heavy discharge. I decided to go to the doc for a urine test in April 09, but came out negative. I continued having the same symptoms. Eventually the discharge became more and I also started feeling pain in my belly. In June 09 my bf got tested and also came out negative. That same month I wasn't able to have sex with my bf no more due to immense pain while having intercourse. In Sept 09 I decided to visit a gynecologist for a better check up and came out positive for bacterial vaginosis, urine infection and chlamydia!!!!
Me and my bf are in a monogamous relationship. I know I haven't cheated on him. I also know chlamydia is only sexual transmitted so I must have gotten it from him! But my question is WHEN if both our tests came out negative after noticing these symptoms!!! Or is it possible that STD test results could be misdiagnosed??? If this is the case, would I been having chlamydia all along??? How could we both be misdiagnosed at two different hospitals??? Or did he cheat on me after his last test before I took my last one (somewhere in Aug)?? If that's the case, how do I explain the symptoms I was getting since March 09?? Or are there other explanations???
This situation is really stressing me out and has totally damaged the trust in our relationship. Could somebody please give me some answers!!

Thank you so much!

Unfortunately, the only way to tell is if he gets tested again and you actually see on paper for yourself if he is positive or negative.  The tests are pretty accurate.  False results are possible but do not occur that often.  You having 2 negatives over several months and then a positive would lead me to think that it is recent.  I say go with your gut because there really isn't a way to tell when you get an infection.
Thank you so much for responding 2terrified!! The most important thing is that we both got medication for it already... You are right, its impossible to know for 100% what happened... there for I'm just going to let it go...
My only concern right now is my fertility... since I'm a young woman (28 years old) with an enormous desire of having my own big family one day! This really worries me...
Is there a way to test if my organs are infected? Or if I got PID?
I heard they would do examination only then when you are ready to have kids! Is this true?
Yes, fertility exams are very expensive.  But I wouldn't worry.  I had chlamydia years ago and worried for several years after if that caused me to be infertile.  I had no clue I had it and even worse how long.  I now have a son.

You are young, but if you want a large family, you'd better get started soon.  I mean, I wouldn't want to be in my 60's with teenagers at home.  LOL
LOL! Thank you for your humor and for giving me all this positive energy!!! I really need it! It's so good to have people like you to encourage people like me!!

Keep doing what your doing! God bless ya!

Much love,
Chukulati