Chronic Pain Expert Forum
Burnig painin arm down into pinky finger

Questions in the Chronic Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

I started having a burning pain in my right arm from my elbow (inside) going down to my wrist a couple days ago.  It seems to have progressed and I feel it more constant instead of just when I stretched my arm with my wrist flexed back (which is how I felt it most before and still worse in this position now) and it extends into my pinky finger.  It goes up toward my underarm as well, but I can't really tell how far as I had lymph nodes removed a year ago in conjunction with a melonoma surgery on the back of my upper arm - right above the elbow and I still have limited feeling there. When I rub over the areas it has a "sore" yet still burning feeling.  I think it may be radiating into my head now as well.  I felt it some earlier, but not enough to say for sure. I do not have diabetes.  I have however had lower back surgery (1994) to trim a bulging disc and have 2 dehydrated disc in the l4-l5 region. Have a family history of degenerative disc.
The location of the pain that you describe is in the area served by the ulnar nerve, which passes the elbow in the groove where the 'funny bone' is located.  People sometimes develop entrapment and pain of the ulnar nerve, but the fact that you had surgery in that area is either quite a coincidence or is suggestive that some scar tissue has formed that is putting pressure on the nerve.  There are other options, of course, including the possibility of pressure on the nerve at some point higher, for example in the axilla (armpit).  In any case, the workup would include an 'EMG' to identify which nerve is being blocked or pinched, and where it is being affected.
I have had a lot of nerve impingements and know it can cause some severe burning pain.  Have you asked your doctor about this?  Your friend, Billie
My GP goes to church with me and I briefly mentioned it to him Wednesday night.  I told him I had been taking advil which helped.  He said that that would indicate some inflamation (inflammation) more than likely.  I have not gone in to see him, but I am considering it since it still has not stopped and seems to be worse and it has been 2 weeks.  Still is relieved by nsaids.
Thank you for your comments.  I also had lymph nodes removed under that arm when they removed the melanoma.

Are there any reprecussions for not treating nerve impingment?  Will it kill the nerve or the pain just continues?  I have disc issues in my back and have nerve damage down one leg due to the pressure on the sciatic nerves prior to having surgery.

Thanks again.  Bkinman