Cold & Flu Community
3 year old constant coughing

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

3 year old constant coughing

my 3 year old daughter has a persistant cough that does'nt go away,the doctor prescribed aulpent syrup which helps a little but every time she lays down she starts gurgling as if she is producing to much saliva and the coughing fits start,her fits can last for several hours,she doesn't have any wheezing and her chest is clear,this has been going on since she was a baby.the doctor said she will grow out of it could somebody help to explain why she is like this and if i need to seek a second opinion and who i could contact for further advice.thanks in advance.
I would find another doctor............that sounds strange to me and that has to hard on your little one to be coughing like that all the time.  Just ask friends and find out who they doctor with and get her some help!
I'm not a doctor, but I remember from an anatomy class (My degrees are in liberal arts) that there are salivary glands that regulate saliva production.  Perhaps she has a problem in that area?  

Have you tried elevating her head with pillows or elevating the head of the bed?  It might help her rest better.

I would take her to a different doctor-maybe a Ear Nose and Throat specialist.  Maybe the doctor on here will answer and give you better advice.

I hope your little girl gets better soon.

I found a doctor's response about the causes of excessive salivation and posted it on a new thread titled For Hectic Excessive Salivation.

Does this happen every night or occasionally?

It could be a specific food.

A slight OCD tendency problem on my part--I will just post on here so you can find it easier.  I didn't know if medhelp would like me copying and pasting their doctor responses so I just made a separate post for reference.

I made a new thread since I am quoting medhelp--not sure if you can do that or not.

A lady wrote in and asked about excessive salivation.  This is what the doctor said:

02/02/06 by Kevin Pho, MD

View Profile
Kevin Pho, MD  
Boston - MA  

Excessive saliva production is relatively rare.  It can occur in conjunction with eating specific foods.  One option would be to keep a "food diary" and note which foods directly leads to increased saliva production.

I am not aware of specific medications that are used to treat increased salivary production.  You can consider a referral to another ENT or oral surgery opinion for this problem.  

Diseases like post-nasal drip and GERD have been comprehensively ruled out with the tests that you have mentioned.  

Another option would be to obtain another opinion at a major academic medical center.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/gastro/messages/37688.html

it sounds like your doctor is treating asthma, which can get better in some children as they age.

it's reasonable to get a second opinion from a specialist.  An allergist would be the best to evaluate for childhood asthma and chronic cough.