Cold & Flu Community
Persistent Cold / Cough / Sinus Infection Won't Go Away!

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

I am a 30 year old mother of two in Virginia. My kids and I have suffered from cold symptoms, very persistent hacking coughs, lots of mucus.

My children seem to be getting better but I'm not. It's been two weeks and I am still full of mucous and coughing constantly. I went to the doctor and he gave me Amoxycillin for sinus infection which I am taking three times daily and have been for the past six days.

Is there anything I can do to get better? Any home remedies? Other medications? I'm really surprised that I'm still sick with all of these symptoms after this long. Mostly it is a feeling of stopped up snotty nose, ears and a rattly hacking cough that just doesn't dislodge all the mucous. Help!

Angela
Sinusitis often requires not only antibiotics but also nasal steroids and nasal saline rinses.  Nasal steroids are prescription only (rhinocort, nasonex, flonase, beconase) but nasal saline rinses are over the counter.  If you stop the post-nasal drip, you'll get rid of the cough.
I have a 2 years old baby and she has a very persistent cold.  she's been sick for 4 weeks now! I took her to her pediatric doctor for a ear infection and she prescribed some antibiotics. she got rid off the  ear infection. Also  the cold symptoms got a little better for a day or two but the symptoms came back as bad. example clear runny nose, red watery eyes and sore throat and cough. I also been with the cold for about 3 weeks but not as bad as my baby. I  Please any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Rambo1 on 2/25/10: Hi, I am experiencing the identical cold as you were earlier!: Persistent with the same issues, will not go away even after 3 or 4 weeks. This is the first time in my life I am experiencing such a prolonged spell - - normally it is gone in 10 days or so. I read somewhere that there are over 200 cold viruses and it is likely this is a potent strain, hitherto not seen, making the rounds. I am only hoping that it will provide immunity for a year or two after our system fights it off. I had been concerned that perhaps my immune system was getting weaker for some reason. Looks like it is the cold virus that is getting stronger and meaner!
I have just found out that my stomach acid is low and have started taking betaine hcl. It has improved my asthma and a persistent cold that wouldn't go away. Seems that  gut health has more to do with illness than we realise. Plenty of yoghurt and fresh fruit has made me feel great. Just wanted to pass it on.. Please check it out.